What have I missedgreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
I have not been able to come to the forum for a bout 6 weeks. In those weeks I have heard or read very little about Y2k in the print or media. Tonight as I finally sat down to catch up, one of the updates sent from the Weatherman said Ed Yourdon had stepped away from Y2k.
Can someone bring me up to date on what is going on. Not only with Ed but with anything important that has happened recently.
-- Linda A. (firstname.lastname@example.org), June 07, 1999
(1) 60 Minutes did an "article" on Y2K, pointing out that Washington DC was in pitiful shape (among other topics).
(2) Gartner Group did a study that found that 22% of Fortune 1000 companies (I think) were going to be late with their software remediation. This was up from 12% last August, and 16% last November.
(3) A stockbroker came out with their own study and said that 94% were in great shape...
(4) GPS rollover testing continues. If they were sure that there would be no problems, there would be no need of further testing.
(5) Ed, with a sick wife, left active participation in the Y2K debate. He said that most people have already made up their minds, and that little good could be done from now own by his continuing participation.
(6) Other financial analysts are saying that investors should bail out of the stock market soon...
(7) The usual flurry of fluff press releases by companies, countries, and industries to say that THEY are ok. Some have been pretty funny, because they show incredible improvement in a very short period of time.
(8) Some suppliers are expanding production; there are still many supplies available.
Thus, mostly the usual...
-- Mad Monk (email@example.com), June 07, 1999.
More on Censorship
Hardliner on Censorship
Church or School?
I begin to see the double standard that the pollies speak of so often.
-- L T L (NOYB@tThis.time), June 08, 1999.
Linda - you must feel as if you have fallen through a time warp. I was busy for a couple of weekends, and I sure felt that way.
Ed left, Falwell pulled his Y2K tape and says he no longer thinks Y2K is going to be a problem, Cory has been bouncing around oddly, Milne has been visiting again, the BFI forum moved to a new home - it has gotten to the point where changes are coming so fast you need a scorecard to keep up with the players!
And there are accusations of editing of posts by the new forum managers over here.
And on a related note - Rick Cowles got caught re-editing and removing positive information from a news release posted on his site - which has started a minor brushfire in a couple spots.
Has been a very interesting time.
-- Paul Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org), June 08, 1999.
Here's a thread with info about Ed Yourdon's departure and some links to recent news articles:
"Timing of Ed's leave taking.."
-- Linkmeister (email@example.com), June 08, 1999.