marriage to a fallen away catholic : LUSENET : Catholic : One Thread

I am considering marrying a woman who was raised catholic. She no longer considers herself catholic. If we were to get married in the catholic church, what would be required: 1. from me as a practicing catholic? 2. From her as a baptised person who no longer considers herself to be catholic?

Thank you

-- john gallagher (, July 28, 2004


Assuming that neither of you was previously married, you would have to obtain a dispensation from the bishop, through your parish priest (this is routinely granted), and promise to do your best to raise your children in the Catholic faith. She would have to be duly informed of that obligation on your part. And both of you would most likely be required to attend a short series of pre-marital classes.

-- Paul M. (, July 28, 2004.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ