Catholic-non-catholic married by a priest : LUSENET : Catholic : One Thread

My fiance and I are getting married next year. I am a catholic and he is a non-practicing protestant. He does not want to get married in a catholic church, but would rather on a beach. I agree; however, I told him that I want to be married by a catholic priest. He agreed. My question is, is being married by a priest outside a church the same as being married by a priest inside the church? What preperations must be taken in order for us to get married? Does my fiance need to take classes or do we both have to speak to a priest?

-- Joyce (, July 15, 2004


The requirement is for the Sacrament to be celebrated in the Church. Save the beach for the party afterwards.

-- John Miskell (, July 17, 2004.

you can get married by a priest anywere under the catholic rite. There are many services out side of the building called the church in fact the people are the church not a building. Talk to your pastor and ask the question. Understanding the church rulls of getting married classes might be required. I went through the same thing too. Good luck.

-- tony (, July 18, 2004.

Having the marriage outside of the Church is the exception to the rule. Permission may be granted if there is good reason. I doubt that "We want to get married on the beach because it's cool" is sufficient reason for the bishop to give his approval.

1983 Code of Canon Law


"Marriages are to be celebrated in the parish in which either of the contracting parties has a domicile or a quasi­domicile or a month's residence or, if there is question of vagi, in the parish in which they are actually residing. With the permission of the proper Ordinary or the proper parish priest, marriages may be celebrated elsewhere." [Canon 1115]

-- John Miskell (, July 19, 2004.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ