greenspun.com : LUSENET : Junkyard Wars : One Thread

well right now im pretty much at the limit of my building skill level and want to get into welding but dont know anything about it and was just wondering if there is all electric welders with no gas or anything if so what are they called (mig,tig)??? and how would they would they work but if not then what would be a good welding set for a begginer? and where could i get a small 40-50cc weed eater engine, cheap?

-- Dash (Dashvortex@yahoo.com), November 16, 2003


yep you can get an electric welder with no gas.I dont no there exact name but electric weld is there general name.To find a weed eater engine go to your local dump and they will have plenty.You can get an eletrode welder which is where you get longish piece of wire (electrode) and when this comes in contact with the metal is sparks and melts. Or you can get a clarke welder where the electrode wire come out of the holder autamaticly when you press a button. I would personaly go for one like that because they are easier to use and you dont have to buy new electrodes at the time.

-- Tom Hill (a_life_behind_bars2@hotmail.com), November 16, 2003.

well thanks for the anwser but does anyone know of any junk yards in the san antonio area or anywhere with in 30-45 mins. because thats all i need now for my projects but other wise does anyone know of anywhere i could get a weed eater or go-ped engine thats about 40- 50cc online

-- Dash (Dashvortex@yahoo.com), November 16, 2003.

Hahah a clarke welder that would be called a " mig " welder dude...an arc welder would use an electrode which is in no way a " wire " an electrode is a piece of metal anywhere from 1/10 of an inch to a full inch thick and covered with a substance called " flux " which when melted creates a shielding gas barrier keeping harmful gasses and other things out of the "puddle", and it doesnt persay " melt " the arc melts the base metal and the electrode or the " weld metal " then infuses itself into the molten base metal pool creating a solid joint where once was two seperate pieces of metal. if

-- Steve Moudy (badassbikez@yahoo.com), January 21, 2004.

if you want to get started welding and dont want to use large dangerous gas tanks and all those complicated valves and guages i suggest you look into a small inexpensive " 110 miller mig welder " now all the gas from the bulky gas tanks does is serve the purpous of the flux coating on a " stick " or electrode it creates a barrier of shielding gasses it can easily be replaced by flux core wire in a mig welder a mig welder uses a " gun " a mig welder as u look at it is a power supply inside is a spool of wire that is motorized to feed the wire from the spool threw the lead out of the end of your " gun " at the touch of a trigger when the then electrified wire hits metal it arcs creating a molten pool of metal and you can figure out the rest.

-- Steve Moudy (badassbikez@yahoo.com), January 21, 2004.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ