Trying to find an expert physician in So. Cal for AVN : LUSENET : About Joints : One Thread

I was diagnosed with AVN of the right hip Feb 2003 with minimal collapse. I would like to see a recognized physician in the field for another opinion. Does anyone know of a physician in Southern California that they can recommend as an expert? My current prognosis includes doing nothing but swimming, stretching and waiting for collapse and hip replacement. I would like to know if I have any other options. Thank you.

-- Lisa Hoffmann (, October 20, 2003


The website for the National Osteonecrosis Foundation has a list of physicians by state. You can get phone numbers and email addresses at the following link:

Just copy and paste in your browser window.

Good Luck

-- Debi Ross (, October 22, 2003.

If you are in So Calif, first option would be UCLA Medical Center. (I called there last year, but couldn't keep the appointment for an evaluation, even though they offered to look at my x-rays and give me a diagnosis by telephone.) Ask for the head of the orthopaedic surgery dept; if nothing else, they will recommend someone very highly.

Next option would be JRI (Joint Replacement Institute) in downtown Los Angeles. Dr. Amstutz is the head. This institute is well know for resurfacing (if that could be option.) Again, it was another place I had contacted; but my insurance was not acceptable.

If you are way down in So Calif (i.e., San Diego), try the San Diego Medical Center. These medical centers are institutions affiliated with UCLA and UCSD. You can't go wrong with them.

Unfortunately, I no longer have these phone numbers, but they all have websites I know.

Good luck!

-- Jan Bear (, October 21, 2003.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ