Official info on 501(c) from the general secretary : LUSENET : A.M.E. Today Discussion : One Thread

There have been many discussions regarding 501c status for local churches and other questions. We are blessed to have a general secretary who wants to help the local church. You can go to the official ame church webpage to email him your questions.

I asked Dr. Fugh about the 501c status of the local church. Below is his answer if you have further questions contact him directly. Here is his response:

The AMEC has a 501(c)3 number for Federal Tax exemption that covers all African Methodist Episcopal Churches. However, for sponsorships and for employee tax reporting, each church or department must have its own EIN number (Federal Tax ID Number).

I hope this helps in some small way.

Clement W. Fugh General Secretary

-- Anonymous, August 08, 2003


Does this allow a church to apply for grants to fund specific programs or is it recommended that a separate entity be setup for the purpose of getting outside funding for special projects/programs?

-- Anonymous, August 08, 2003

Hi, Jessie, I would suggest you contact Dr. Fugh personally to ask these questions and other questions you may have. That way you will have the official opinion of the ame church. Instead of guesses from members of the board. I have found all of our general officers extremely helpful when answering questions from the local church. And I pastor a small rural church in Montana. I made contact with Dr. Fugh when our church first came into the denomination. Keep us posted. Go to the official ame church website and look under general secretary.

-- Anonymous, August 08, 2003

Moderation questions? read the FAQ