Speed Graphics and film backs

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hello I have just purchased a speed graphic. I am having trouble determining which kind of back it has. I would like to use roll film, What does a graphloc back look like? How can I tell which back i have.? Thanks everyone Joe

-- Joe Caffrey (joe_caffrey@hotmail.com), June 07, 2002


To mount a roll back you will need a graflock back , which is a back of metal construction , where the part that holds the ground glass can be taken apart by means of a locking mechanism which will accept then the roll film back I sure hope that you have such a back, because they can go pretty expensive. You can almost say that the price of the Speed Graphic IS the Graflock . Another way to distinguish it is by opening the hood. If the hood is completely in metal and and has no sides open, than is Graflock..

-- domenico (applethorpe@earthlink.net), June 07, 2002.

Go to graflex.org If you don't find what you want, check the helpboard.

-- Alec (alecj@bellsouth.net), June 07, 2002.

I have a Graflex page on my web site with photographs of several backs. www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto Harry

-- Harry Martin (hmartin@tns.net), June 07, 2002.

A Graflok back has a removable focusing panel, and two chrome slide locks, one above and one below the focus panel. You don't need a Graflok back to use roll film though. (Assuming your Speed Graphic is a 4x5), you can use a roll film holder like the Calumet C2N.

-- Dave Brown (wolfgang@peakpeak.com), June 07, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ