localized print flashing with penlight?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I've been using a localized flashing technique, where the areas to be affected are demarcated on my easel with tape (sort of a grid, coordinate system). I then flash the demarcated area (after determining exposure, etc.) similarly to how I would conduct a burn. I've heard about using a penlight in conjunction with the red blocking filter (so you can see the image while working). While allowing more precise "aiming", it seems that controlling exposure might be somewhat unpredictable. Has anyone worked this out? Thanks!


-- Chris Jordan (Boston) (postmaster@jordanphoto.com), May 09, 2002


Here's an interesting device for doing this:


There's an article on it's use on the site. Expensive at $150 for the kit.

-- Chuck Pere (jcpere@aol.com), May 09, 2002.

Yes, I have done this with much success using a small flashlight with difusion material over the light to lessen the exposure.

-- Jim (jimzpace@yahoo.com), May 09, 2002.


This sounds like a really interesting technique to control highlights that get out of control. Not that I ever have a neg like that. Yea - sure.

Seems to me since the highlight appears as a dark area on the projected image on the paper, it might be tough to see the exact area with a red filter (25?) over the bulb. Then again (add up the following visual light diminishing factors) I'm using a cold light head on my enlarger, 11 x 14 or larger, 135mm enlarger lens stopped down to usually f11 and a VC filter. Heck, I can barely see the image during exposure. (Dim and Dimmer).

All seriousness asside. I know of one darkroom artist that buys only the highest contrast grade papers available and pre-flashes to reduce contrast to fit the range of each image. Myself, I've started to use split filtration on VC papers, Gekko, (i. e. a #1 followed by a #3) with very acceptable results.

Now lets see, what did I do with those +4 reading glasses?

. . . . . ?

Good light,


-- Steve Feldman (steve@toprinting.com), May 09, 2002.

I have a Dauxlite, and they're worth considering. (I know the inventor.) They come with several variable contrast filters, have 9 or 10 different intensities, and they have attachments to obtain different sized square and circular openings for different sized spreads. They're for sale at Calumet.

-- neil poulsen (neil.fg@att.net), May 09, 2002.

It really is amazing...what have they not invented yet? I think I'll try to build my own penlight version with diffusion material, and perhaps a piece of 00 filter. Then, after I sell a bunch of my new prints (yeah...), I'll go buy the Dauxlite. It really looks good. Thanks for the suggestions, folks...


-- Chris Jordan (Boston) (postmaster@jordanphoto.com), May 10, 2002.

RH Designs (UK) have a paper flasher - basically a small battery operated device which allows flashing whilst the red filter is across the enlarger lens.

-- paul owen (paulowen_2000@yahoo.com), May 10, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ