Protecting ground glass while backpacking : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

What is a good way to protect the ground glass of a 4x5 flatbed while backpacking? Is a folding focusing hood generally of much value (both protectively and will it provide any benefits when it comes to blocking stray light), or are there any other solutions?

-- Erik Asgeirsson (, May 02, 2002


No sense re-inventing the wheel. How about the simple plexiglass square that fits over the ground glass on the back of the camera similar to what Canham cameras use for their 4x5 cameras? Another option is the hinged plexiglass that Canham uses for their 5x7 cameras. One piece of the hinge goes in the film holder space and the other is behind the camera. I recently acquired one of these for my 8x10 camera. Either should work at much less cost than the folding hoods.

-- Michael Kadillak (, May 02, 2002.

At one time Calumet had a plastic device to protect the ground glass on all types of view cameras. It was just a U-shaped thing, one side of the U fitting into the back like a neg holder while the other side covered the glass. I don't know if it is still avalable, but you might try their website.

-- Ken Burns (, May 02, 2002.

Both Calumet and Canham offer ground plass protectors. The Calumet one is a little cheaper but the Canham one fits better, slides in and out a little easier, and just feels a little less flimsy.


-- David G Hall (, May 02, 2002.

One other thing.

A ground glass protector costs thirty of fifty bucks, somewhere in that range. The alternative is a broken ground glass which leaves glass dust and sparkles in EVERY nook and cranny of your bellows and camera forever. I broke one once on a Canham 5x7 and vacuumed several times, ended up getting a new bellows, and STILL had sparklies in the camera.

GG protectors are well worth the price!


-- David G Hall (, May 02, 2002.

There is a guy sellign protector at E bay. they are made of plastic and are quite good.

-- Jorge Gasteazoro (, May 02, 2002.

I simply use a self-adhesived 1mm thick plastic sheet with 5mm thick dense foam-rubber sticked on it, with two holes on the edge for holding a rubber band.

-- Jimmy Peguet (, May 03, 2002.

I found a piece of 1/4 dense foam that I cut to fit the outside of my Shen Hao g.g. I also pack the camera so that the groundglass is insulated from exterior blows to the camera bag by my folded darkcloth.

-- Tony Galt (, May 03, 2002.

This question may be already overanswered, but I think I have something more to offer.

I owned a tech V for over a year, and when I change to wood fields, one of my concerns was ground glass protection.

I bought the calumet protector, and it have already protected my ground glass from beaking, more than once.

Definitively a good choice...

Best regards...


-- Enrique Vila (, May 03, 2002.

I just fold the darkcloth into 8ths and put it over the grounglass and then close the backpack over it.

-- Josh Divack (, May 03, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ