"we were both too tired to sleep"

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Thoughts : One Thread

I haven't been getting enough sleep lately. I'm really tired, and have dark circles under my eyes. I look as though I've been beaten up. I'd like someone to tell me that I am not alone, and that they too have been so tired they've almost fallen asleep at the wheel.

P.S. The title of this question was taken from Kenny Rogers' immortal song "The Gambler." Long live Mr. Rogers and his chain of fast food chicken restaurants.

-- Anonymous, April 25, 2002


You don't have to worry, Cheese. I'm the same way. I wake up around 8 am every morning (on my own) and stay up past midnight, only to repeat the cycle the next day. I always tell myself I need to go to bed earlier, but I have these little projects I want to work on too. I think the lack of sleep is starting to eat away at my face as well, since I also have the undereye bags and a drowsy feeling in the afternoon. Maybe we need to consume more echinacea or ginko biloba or something.

PS - Your PS rocked. I used to think Kenny Rogers was Santa Claus.

-- Anonymous, April 26, 2002

For me, the first symptom of being too tired is burning eyes. I freaking hate that feeling. Next comes the headache. Eventually, though, if I push past all that, I get my second wind and nothing can hold me back. I actually have some pretty sweet stories of things I accomplished on little to no sleep. Tim has some awesome no sleep stories. Maybe he'll tell one.

-- Anonymous, April 26, 2002

I have a no sleep story. This is my favorite one. I was working at Kinko's, 1st shift, which is 7 am to 3 pm. But, since it's usually really busy at Kinko's at 3, I usually didn't get out until 4 or so. Well, this day was no different. I left to go home at around 4 and was home about 15 minutes before my manager called me, telling me I needed to come in and work 3rd shift that night. I explained to him that I just worked 9 hours, but he told me I was the last hope. So, I worked 3rd shift, from 10 pm to 7 am. Do the math, and I worked 18 hours in 1 day off 0 hours of sleep. It sucked. Oh, but that's not the worst part.

Somewhere around 4 am I was working on getting a bunch of pads of paper printed up. At Kinko's, when you pad, you pad a huge stack of them all at once and then cut them apart. Well, I couldn't find the padding knife, so instead I just used a razor blade. I'd done this dozens of times, so it wasn't a big deal. Except that as I was cutting apart 2 pads, I drove the razor blade really far into my thumb. I bled all over the finished pads of paper, all over the counter, the carpet, everything. I ran to the bathroom and tried to put a band aid on, but it wouldn't stick because of all the blood. I tried to dry a spot for the band aid to stick, but I was just bleeding too much. Finally I wrapped it in gauze and put a bunch of that medical tape stuff around it. Once I bled through that, I thought it would probably be a good idea to go get a stitch or 2, since it was not going to stop bleeding and I was sick of cleaning up my own blood trail. Unfortunately I was the only 3rd shirt person on duty and it was 4:30 am.

So, I started calling some of the first shift people to see if they would come in a bit early so I could go get my finger stitched. Only 1 person actually answered his phone, and he told me he wouldn't come in early. So, I finished my shift and when the 1st shift people started getting there, they all commented on my various blood stains and told me how I needed to go to the doctor. At this point I was so tired I just didn't care anymore, and I went home and went to sleep for like 20 hours. I still have a big scar on my thumb from the incident.

-- Anonymous, April 27, 2002

Moderation questions? read the FAQ