Freelance Photographers : LUSENET : Photography Singapore : One Thread

I was wondering how does one become a freelance international photographer where you are able to apply for special photographer's pass to selected events where you are not representing a specific magazine etc . Is there an official agency in Singapore or anywhere in the world where a person who aspires to be a international photographer could join and be recognised as a freelance photographer as a profession .Or must one be " attached to a agency " to apply for such passes .

Another question , what is the general protocal for a freelance photographer interested to provide a magazine with specific photos (eg: happen to be in Cannes and got great shots , magazines would carry these shots e: 8 days etc )


-- Sandra Galistan (, April 23, 2002


Check out the staffbox in the magazines you would like to contribute to, call the photo editor or editorial assistant and ask if you can drop by to show your portfolio. If they're interested, they'll call you. If they don't call, maybe they're busy. Follow up with a phone call, but don't be rude or sound too anxious. If they want to work with you, they should tell you upfront about the requirement and charges. Be professional and stay professional.

It helps to represent a magazine; when you cover events, you meet other photographers, make friends with the best of them, expand your network, and you're on your way.

I think you get representation if you already have a good reputation and have already produced a good, impressive body of work. If you're really good, the agents will call and ask if they can represent you.

-- KSanchez (, May 20, 2002.

Hi, We are currently looking for freelance photographers who are interested in taking photos of properties - residential / commerical at a low cost. This is an ongoing project. If you are interested, please let me know what you can offer and the price. Thanks. Alan

-- Alan (, May 02, 2004.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ