Hand Tinting - What kind of paints do I need to use?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : B&W Photo: Alternative Process : One Thread


Hope someone can help. I am printing B&W in darkroom and looking at handtinting my B&Ws. I don't want colourwash of whole print - am looking at highlighting etc.

Can I use normal watercolours to do this? Any other suggestions would be good


-- Lisa Jeffries (JEFFRIEJ@uk.ibm.com), April 15, 2002


Lisa, I would start with an introductory set of Marshalls 'Photo Coloring System.' It's about $15.00. Punch your question into one of the search engines. There is lots of info out there on hand coloring.


ps. Just realized you are in the UK, but I am sure you can get Marshalls there too.

-- Christian Harkness (chris.harkness@eudoramail.com), April 15, 2002.

You need oil paints rather than water colours. Coloured pencils also work, giving more subtle tints. You will need to print on a matte surface paper.

-- Ed Buffaloe (edb@unblinkingeye.com), April 16, 2002.

Oils and pencils as stated. You can also go to www.handcolor.com for alot more ideas ect. Good site!

-- Scott Walton (walton@ll.mit.edu), April 16, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ