Update on doe that aborted, and more ?sgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Dairygoats : One Thread
Well, I think I am going to be lucky this time. So far, no problems. The young doe is still very perky and shows no signs of any trouble whatsoever. Only a minimal discharge at this point, I'm guessing she must have passed the afterbirth and ate it. As to the length of the pregnancy, she was bred the first week in Feb. so was not very far along. Don't see how there could be a mistake, after buying our new buck kid last year we wethered every other male on the place. There are 2 tall fences with 2x4" spacing between the buck and the does, and neither the buck nor this doe have ever gotten out. We hand bred the buck to this doe so I'm certain on the date. The body of the fetus was approx. 3 1/2" long not counting neck and head. No hair whatsoever. When I mentioned previously that it looked normal, I meant that it was fully formed, no parts missing or abnormal appearing. Of course that doesn't mean there wasn't something wrong internally.
After the responses I received to my questions on here the other day, I decided it might be best to ask my vet to take a look at her, even though he is a better horse vet than goat vet. He said there was need to bring the goat in as there is no way to tell if she passed the afterbirth or not. He advised against antibiotic use unless it was necessary. Told me to keep a close eye on her, watching for any foul smell or "off" looking discharge, and to take her temp frequently. His opinion was to not give the penicillin unless the doe had a problem. (I have mixed feelings about that.) Ok, here's my questions...
The vet told me not to give her any oxytocin. He gave me 2 cc's of lutalyse and told me that should take care of things if she didn't clean out completely. Then he said he preferred I wait a few days to use it rather than give it to her so early after aborting. As I said, this guy's a great horse vet....can I get your opinions on using the lutalyse, please? I'm certain she did not get bred twice, but is it possible (if she were carrying twins) that she could abort one and retain a live (healthy) one? Never having had a doe abort before, I'm feeling rather ignorant in this instance.
Besides checking on her frequently, I've been bringing the doe in and "milking" her twice a day. Getting all of an oz. or so of milk. vbg Mainly this is so I can get her up on the stand, take her temp. and check her thoroughly, and perhaps even that little bit of going through the motions of milking might help her to clean out. She has no bag to speak of. I would think there is no chance that she would come into milk after aborting this early? If I'm correct, then when should I re-breed her? Should I wait till fall? Thanks much, I appreciate all your help!
-- Lenette (email@example.com), April 14, 2002
At this point just continue with the temperature taking. I wouldn't lutelyse her unless she starts with a temp. If you do lutelyse her either she will open up and cleanse, or with the CL (corpus lutem) dairy goats don't get them unless they are in a heat cycle, the lute could screw up her hormones. I wouldn't use it myself.
Perhaps with the single kid it explains the 3 inch fetus? Haven't a clue.
There is a story recently of a doe who aborted at 1 month and exactly 4 months later had two healthy kids. So.....though I only am repeating a story I heard :) who knows! Vicki
-- Vicki McGaugh TX (firstname.lastname@example.org), April 15, 2002.
Thank you, Vicki. I was hoping you'd say that about the lutalyse. The doe is doing so well I really hate to mess with her. AND, she is one of those who is normally quiet, but let her come into heat and she tells everyone in the county about it! I'd just as soon not get her hormones out of control, lol.
-- Lenette (email@example.com), April 15, 2002.