looking for a paper cutter/trimmer for prints?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hi all, I'm looking for a paper cutter for trimming photos that have the drymount tissue tacked to the back. I found one for sale used, but was in bad shape. The print wanted to move as the blade came down and also it would leave tissue hanging. Now, I'm thinking about a new unit, but don't know what to get. Circular blade? Lever blade? Is a clamp necessary? Any perticular brand? What works for you? I would like something in the 24 inch size. Any suggestions? As always, i'd like to save money when I can. Thanks,dee

-- see seegers (deesee@pinn.net), April 01, 2002


See, by all means get a Rotatrim paper cutter, it is what I use to cut prints with dry mount tissue and have always obtained flawless cuts. As you noticed if you get the cutters with the sliding arm, most of the time the print "creeps" and you get an uneven cut in relation to the tissue...very frustrating! My rotatrim circular blade has kept its sharpness and functions as if it was new. I guess I should stop rambling and answer your question, so yes get a circular blade paper cutter and stay away from the lever blade ones!

-- Jorge Gasteazoro (rossorabbit@hotmail.com), April 01, 2002.

I use a Rollcut from Calumet. They carry several brands and multiple sizes. If I recall, they have had some on sale recently. The circular blade works very well and gives the cleanest, best cuts you could desire.


John Bailey

-- John Bailey (mdwphoto@aol.com), April 01, 2002.

hi see -

also check out spincut rotary trimmers. they work as well as the top of the line trimmers, but don't cost as much. i priced trimmers for a month or 2 before i purchased mine last summer. the spincut was the one i bought, at about 1/2 the price of the same size rototrim.

best of luck,

-- jnanian (jak@gis.net), April 01, 2002.


if you want to save money and if you happen to invest in a (desktop) mat cutter in the (near) future, do not invest in a seperate 24" print cutter (a good one is not cheap in that size). Instead, buy a mat cutter that is capable of cutting 45 and 90 and it will cut your prints perfectly, too.


-- Thilo Schmid (tschmid@2pix.de), April 02, 2002.

Check out the Rotatrim Eurocut 24 in. rotary blade trimmer. I think it is made in Germany, and is the same as the Dahle brand. Good equipment.Best price is at Midwest Photo Exchange. Call Jim at 614- 261-1264. Website Mpex.com

-- Eugene (TIAGEM@aol.com), April 02, 2002.

Bogen is selling a line of rotary cutters called CArl. I have one and while the cuts are just fine, I found out to my amazement that the cutting bar is not square with the edge of the trimmer and there is now way to adjust. Beware!

-- Jerry Flynn (flynn68@attglobal.net), April 02, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ