split printing

greenspun.com : LUSENET : B&W Photo: Alternative Process : One Thread

I was reading an article in my B&W magazine on photographer Larry Wiese. He was explaining the technique that he uses when printing an infrared print. He said, "With split printing there are lots of options in the darkroom." I am unfamiliar with that term. Can someone please shed some light on this technique?

-- judi carter (judicarter@fcds.org), February 28, 2002


you use the two extremes of filtration on a variable contrast paper. You can expose first with the low contrast filter and then with the high contrats filter. As you can see this way you can control the highlights and shadows very well. Larry is a gentlemen and if you have more questions about his technique e mail him and he will be more than glad to answer you.

-- Jorge Gasteazoro (rossorabbit@hotmail.com), February 28, 2002.

Larry's use of the term "split" isn't quite what most people term split contrast printing. Similar but not quite the same. He makes a print using the contast he would normally give a print and then uses either a hich or low contrast filter overlay slightly out of focus to the original print. This creates a sort of halo around the image.

-- james (james_mickelson@hotmail.com), April 28, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ