giclee : LUSENET : B&W Photo: Alternative Process : One Thread

I am relatively new to photography. How do you do giclee prints-where the edges of the print-look worn or is extremely soft? Kinda like when printing a b/w full frame negative holder to get the heavy dark black images. Is it just done with Photoshop or done through a printing process? Any replies would be appreciated

Thank you, Sherry Long

-- sherry long (, February 25, 2002


It is funny, but strange when someone that has stepped in the field in the post-photoshop era has doubts that something really simple to do in a manual way is not done only with the digital aid of image processing... If you use a negative carrier that has an opening larger than your negative, you get the black border on your picture. Other effects (like soft border etc) are achieved with masks that are positioned higher than your easel, are moved during the exposure, are out of focus, strange-shaped etc.

-- George Papantoniou (, February 25, 2002.

Hi Sherry,

Giclee = ink jet prints. So, I imagine that ANY effects you get with them is done in the computer with imaging software such as Photoshop.


-- Christian Harkness (, March 07, 2002.

Is Giclee a special kind of ink jet print? Does it require a specific printer, ink, or paper? Or is this just a fancy name for ink jet print?


-- Paul van der Hoof (, April 01, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ