Whats is the scientific name(proper name) of a boar hogs teat?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

Hi...I nedd to find an answer to this question for a few extra points in my ag class and to beat all the preps to the answer in there...so if you know...please tell me!!! Here is the question-Whats is the scientific name(proper name) of a boar hogs teat? I know it is odd...but I didn't ask the question...my teacher did!

-- Julie Benderman (delavick@yahoo.com), February 14, 2002


Enter this question into google search engine I am sure there is an answer.

-- mitch hearn (moopups@citlink.net), February 14, 2002.

Sorry don't know off the top of my head , other than "useless". I will try to search a few research sites for you.

-- Jay Blair in N. AL (jayblair678@yahoo.com), February 14, 2002.

It may be one of those trick questions that some professors like to use. After a pretty good searching, nothing came up that definitely answers your question, but did find some sites that may answer your question: 1.Pig anatomy on the internet http://webgo.nthelp.net/pig-search1/pig-anatomy-search.htm 2. Parts of a pig http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/swatland/html/ch3.0.html Be sure and scroll down the page to see all of the information. 3. Pig Anatomy http://potbelliedpig.com/oink/anatomy.htm 4. Pig Anatomy Starting page http://faculty.purduenc.edu/jcamp/pigfold/index.html Gilbert Hollis, Extension Swine Specialist Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois

From University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/swine/abc.html Teats: heritable trait; the number and spacing of teats on boar and sow are important. This is what I meant by a trick question, there may not be a different name between boar and sows.

Hope this helps.

-- BC (desertdweller44@yahoo.com), February 14, 2002.

I still think that its atrick question also, and I think the answer is here is no proper name and hey are just called a boar hog's teats.

-- Flossy (flossy_1222@hotmail.com), February 14, 2002.

This if just a wild guess, "a nipple" ????

-- Thumper/inOKC (slrldr@yahoo.com), February 15, 2002.

The group of teats is called the "underline". Try that.

-- Sherman in NWCO (sromney@springsips.com), February 15, 2002.

Here is the scientific name used with fetal pigs: : Mammary Papillae: nipples; indicate how many mammary glands there are

Would like to hear what your professor decides the answer is.

-- BC (desertdweller44@yahoo.com), February 15, 2002.

Not sure what the proper name is for teats on a boar hog, but (in response to Jay's remark about them being "useless") as any good hog breeder knows, you can't accurately use the old addage, "Useless as teats on a boar hog." In picking breeding stock, always look to see how many teats the gilt AND the boar have ... the more teats, the more live-born piglets you have!

This info really doesn't follow the topic of the thread, but I had to interject my $.02 worth :-)! I'd be interested in hearing what the professor has to say about the "proper name," also.

-- Phil in KS (pemccoy@yahoo.com), February 16, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ