4x5 polaroid back

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I just purchase a crown graflex, without film holders, I need to buy a polaroid back and do not know exactly what to buy, please help, thanks Gary

-- Gary Thomas (thomgary@yahoo.com), January 26, 2002


hi gary you have a few options for polaroid backs. there is the 545, the 545i as well as the 500. they all take single sheet polaroid 4x5 film. i know there are others that will allow you to use polaroid pack film. i have never used pack film so i can not comment on that stuff .. i have both a 545i and a 500 back. on the 545/545i film holders, the clip or tab that holds the film in place tends to stop holding the film at a certain point. steve grimes has a little tutorial on how to fix it on his website. good luck! - john

-- john nanian (jak@gis.net), January 26, 2002.

Gary, I believe that in order to use the pack film, you need a graflock back on your camera, or at least that is what I remember being told back when I bought my 545i sheet film holder. Good luck!

-- John Kasaian (www.kasai9@aol.com), January 27, 2002.

For a 550 pack film back you definitely need a graflok back. For a 405 pack film back you may be ok with SOME spring backs, depends on yours. A further note on the 500, it is a very old discontinued back and the current films are not designed to work with it. Some folks use the 500 back with modern film and some workarounds but it is not recommended by Polaroid.

-- Ted Harris (slberfuchs@aol.com), January 27, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ