Arthritis/halotestin treatments : LUSENET : About Joints : One Thread

about 25 years ago I was treated by a Dr. J.A. Lewis in Missoula, Mt for endometriosis with an experimental treatment he said came from John Hopkins medical center. This was a treatment with male hormones called Halotestin (sp?) About 10 years ago I started having alot of joint pain that kept getting increasingly worse. In 1997 I had arthroscopic knee surgery done to try an eliviate some of the pain and give me more motion. It worked quite well but is finally gotten to the point where my orthopedic doctor wants to try the unicompartmental knee replacement. I am only 51 so he felt I was two young to go for the full replacement. Since then I have been doing alot of research on arthritis etc. I keep finding "a change in hormones" listed as a cause and since no one else in my family has these same problems with arthritis I am quite curious if this Halotestin study that Johns Hopkins was doing has found anyother such results in their follow up. Dr. Lewis moved out of the area a few years after my treatments so I was never able to discuss it with him. I realize its like closing the barn door after the horse is gone but I just wondered if there could be a connection. This was something I entered into willingly and realize now I should probably have gotten more data at the time. This isn't a case of finger pointing or any such thing just hoping someone else knows about this and can satisfy my curiousity. Thank you for your time.

-- Elizabeth P. Rattray (, January 20, 2002


I don't know the answer to your question. In 30 years of doing joint replacement surgery, I have not seen any other such cases.

-- David S. Hungerford, M.D. (, April 01, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ