Sinar Question : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

does anyone know what the exact name is of the gadget that is used to hold up bellows on sinar cameras when the bellows is really extended. I have seen pictures of it, and it looks like a round tube that attaches to the bottom rail and then has an H sort of arrangement that holds up the bellows. I don't see this in my catologs however. thanks

-- Kevin Kolosky (, November 27, 2001



-- Paul Schilliger (, November 27, 2001.

I'm a new comer to Sinar and don't have the years experience with the system many on the list have. What you are describing is something I have seen only with very old Sinars, the models that used the U shaped standards. I have not seen such a device in any recent Sinar literature. My speculation, the current Sinar system is supplied with a bellows of about 16 inch maximum extension. At that extension the sag in the middle is not a problem. To get greater extension you must use another standard and a another bellows.

Since I am a bit of a hacker/homebuilder I have thought about using a longer bellows, either a Horseman or a custom or home made model. A center support could be fashioned from on old rail clamp rotated so the tripod screw faced the bottom of the bellows. A U shaped support could be fashioned to attach to the tripod screw. The problem of course is that you could not raise or shift the bellows to keep it out of the light path.

-- Dave Schneider (, November 27, 2001.


I am talking about the 8 x 10 camera with the extended bellows. it does sag quite a bit. If one could cut off a rail clamp so that just the part that goes around the rail were left and then attach a "one leg goalpost" to it that somehow goes up and down, I think you would have something that many people would want. since rail clamps are expensive and metal is heavy, perhaps a plactic "hole" around the rail with a one leg goalpost on it. Anyway, that is what the one I saw kind of looked like, except that it was made to adjust up and down. Kevin

-- Kevin Kolosky (, November 27, 2001.

Kevin, (sorry fro my previous silly post, I could not resist) I searched the Sinar list and all I could find is part #437.62 intermediate frame on carrier with rise and tilt possibilities, meant to link two 8x10 bellows or for large lens shade.

Arca-Swiss have the item you describe. Arca part is #077000 bellows support or bellows stand, but it is made to clips specifically on the Arca rail.

-- Paul Schilliger (, November 27, 2001.

have you tried a film can underneath the bellows/ You might also try some ttape (gaffer tape I recommend, low residue as compared to Duct tape or other types and a string or wire. Secure one end of string to the top of one standard, use a 2 inch long piece of tape stuck mostly to itself with a small ring at the fold and with the ends attached to each side of a bellows pleat and then run the string through the ring and secure the other end of the string to the other standard.

-- Ellis Vener Photography (, November 27, 2001.

Hi Kevin,

Wonderbra might help, and it will get you a lot of unwanted attention, too:-) For supporting my sagging bellows, I just use my Toyo focusing lupe. For extreme camera movements, you should look at products like "snake shade". It's usually sold in camera stores under accessories. At one end it has a big clamp, so you can clamp it to your Sinar monorail. At the other end, it has a small clamp, so you can clamp it to a 4x5 dark slide to shade for your lens (if you want to). In the middle, it has many snake-like joints, so you can bend it to any shapes you like and to any positions you want. Or of course you can buy an expensive Sinar product. Regards,

-- Geoffrey Chen (DB45TEK@AOL.COM), November 28, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ