What is meant by "bail Back"?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I just saw an ad for a Zone VI with a "bail Back". What is meant by that term?

-- joe zarick (jza1058168@aol.com), November 25, 2001


A 'bail' is a type of lever that is used as a mechanical aid to aid in opening the groundglass frame away from the camera body for easier film holder insertion.

-- Ellis Vener Photography (ellis@ellisvener.com), November 25, 2001.

On the later model "Zone VI" cameras, the ones which look like Wisners, not Wistas, there was an optional feature which became standard called a bail back. This is a U-shaped stainless steel thing, which when moved to the side, takes the pressure off the back so a film holder slides right in with basically no drag on it. You then move the bail back and it clamps down on the film holder again. You can live without this feature, but I think it is a modest convenience which makes it less likely you'll move something sliding in the holder. If you buy the camera, always give the film holder a little tug left then right after you release the bail to make sure it is seated in the groove on the right.

-- Kevin Crisp (krcrisp@aol.com), November 25, 2001.

Actually, the Bail Back is used when going white water rafting....

-- Sean yates (coalandice@yahoo.com), November 25, 2001.

Show up for court, get bail back.

-- DAVO (d.c.oconnor@att.net), November 26, 2001.


-- Steve Feldman (steve@toprinting.com), November 27, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ