Denver New Year's Eve party canceledgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread
Denver New Year's Eve party canceled
Denver won't be hosting a gala New Year's Eve party this year, city officials announced today.
Concerns over security scotched the event, they said. The police department is already on a "high alert" status and according to the city, "police resources for New Year's would simply not be available."
Last year's event drew 200,000 people to the 16th Street Mall.
Downtown will still be open on Dec. 31, Mayor Webb said in a statement.
"We still want folks to come downtown and enjoy all that downtown has to offer."
Decisions on future New Year's Eve celebrations will be made on a year-to-year basis, officials said.
-- Martin Thompson (email@example.com), October 08, 2001