Which film for polaroid 550 holder?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

While viewing the polaroid site I noticed that it shows sheet film and pack film to be used with a polaroid 550 holder. I thought only pack film could be used with the 550 holder. Type 559 pack film has smaller dimensions (image area) than the type 59 sheet film, so if I can I would rather used the type 59 but that is sheet film, not pack film right, and not able to be used with the 550 holder?



-- Clark King (ckphotographyusa@netscape.net), September 22, 2001


Hi Clark,

To use sheet film you need one of the following 545,545i,454pro film holder

-- Bill Jefferson (jefferw@together.net), September 23, 2001.

clark - you can also use a 500 film holder. it is the older version of the 545 and later the 545i holders. i haven't used p-n (type 55) film in my 500, but 59 pulls out perfectly. the rollers seem to me to spread the chemistry better in the 500. the main drawback is that there is no "stop" to tell you to stop pulling the darkslide the film. you just have to waste a sheet of film to see where you want to stop pulling it - there is actually a little bit of tension as you pull it which helps a little bit .. you can pick up 500 backs on ebay or from dealers really cheaply because lots of people think the film is not made anymore. i think i saw one on the pgsys website for $10.00! just make sure you ask that it is in working order before you buy it, sometimes the catch on the bottom (wire) is missing which makes the holder pretty much useless. good luck! - john

-- john nanian (jak@gis.net), September 25, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ