Interior shoot with 4x5 or 35mm? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I have an upcoming shoot of a condo, and a house when finished with construction. I am questioning whether to shoot them with my 4x5 Super Graphic, although I will have to rent a wide angle lens, as my widest is a 135mm. I am questioning the ability to shoot with just one lens with the 4x5 as I can't afford two deposits. My other option is combining the shoot with my Nikon, for which I have a 24mm in combination with my Canon which I have a 28mm for. I have 50's for both but unfortunetly no 35mm lenses. The owner (a friend) wants to submit the photographs for design purposes. I have a background in set lighting using hotlights, and will add gels to them so I can use some strobes as well, and use daylight film. If the shoot tends toward dusk/night time, which it probably will, I may shoot tungsten. Your help is appreciated.

-- Wayne Crider (, July 28, 2001



If the photos are just going to be used by your friend for submission to a committee or panel of judges or client, I'd shoot 35mm. The photos just have to show what the place looks like, with reasonable detail. If, on the other hand, the photos are likely to get published, you probably have to find a way to shoot a larger format or the photos will stumble when compared to the other photos in the publication.


-- John (, July 28, 2001.

As you probably already know shooting upward with a wide angle lens will result in the appearance of converging vertical lines (walls, etc.) This can be overcome either partially or completely using the movements provided with LF and to a lesser degree with TS lenses on 35mm. If this effect is a problem for the use your friend has in mind then I would recommend using LF.

-- Mark Windom (, July 28, 2001.

Wayne, What about renting a shift lens for the Nikon? I use Nikkor 28mm and 35mm PC lenses on my Nikons and they are fantastic. For interiors, I'd just get the 28mm. Either that or stand on a stepstool to get some rise.

-- Sandy Sorlien (, July 28, 2001.

Wayne, 35mm is great but using it for interiors highlights its limitations. Most editorial interiors photographers (as opposed to architectural photographers)use medium format, which gives plenty of quality: I use an RZ with 65, 75 shift, and 50mm lenses, in that order of priority and necessity. Or use a RF back with your 5x4, if you can rent wide lenses such as 47, 58, 65mm. LF is frankly overkill for your purposes, while 35mm is the other extreme. As for lighting, most people use studio monoblocs, though there's a place for tungsten lamps and indeed I'm thinking of getting a couple myself. But all that heat, all that gelling, and insufficient power too, precludes their regular use as principal light sources.

-- Anthony Harrison (, July 28, 2001.

you should consider the disturbing effect of convergence that you will get on many of your wide angle shots if you use a camera with no movements. rent a LF WA lens, and you can always crop for the middle of the frame and enlarge if you need a longer view.

-- Michael Mahoney (, July 28, 2001.

rent a 28 PC-Nikkor or the Canon 24mm Tilt/Shift (you won't need the tilt feature for this application) instead of a wide angle. I believe your 4x5 Super Graphic camera will either be too limited in terms of movements or too clumsy in terms of set up to let you work efficiently.

-- Ellis Vener Photography (, July 28, 2001.

At least the shoot for both places are on one floor. But the Super is limited with no rear movements. Maybe my older Rollei SLR with a 50mm lens would be better?

-- Wayne Crider (, July 29, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ