Anybody know how to make frosted film?? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Does anyone have a formula for making a piece of frosted film. This serves the same purpose as a ground glass. Trying to make a piece of Polaroid pack film size film to put in an empty pack film holder to put in a Polaroid. Confused? Yeah, me too. I think you would have to chemically "etch" the emulsion, then fix etc. TIA...J

-- Jim Galli (, June 28, 2001



Are you trying to make the equivalent of a groundglass insert to check focusing on a LF or Polaroid camera? You might try transparent mylar sometimes called matte acetate. It should be available at art supply stores or try Daniel Smith or You can also use the grided templates found at quilting/sewing stores. These will yield a visible image, although not quite as bright and clear as standard groundglass. I think the difference between groundglass and frosted mylar is about one stop. You can also cut plexiglass and sand it using 220 grit sandpaper. The results are not as uniform as acetate but will suffice in bright light situations. If your really energetic, you can grind your own glass using carborundum. Hope this helps.


-- Dave Willison (, June 28, 2001.


I added this link in case you get the urge to make groundglass: und_glass.htm


-- Dave Willison (, June 28, 2001.

Thanks Dave, Yes that's what I'm trying to do. It's a Polaroid 600 series pack film back. Im going to take an empty pack film holder and make a removeable ground glass that will take the place of the film pack when I need it. At work we have frosted film for the 35mm movie cameras. That's what I'm after. I may just get a piece of glass and try the aerosol glaze in a can stuff. Jim

-- Jim Galli (, June 28, 2001.

I'd find a piece of suitable acetate or some such and spray it with a few coats of dulling spray, if I were interested in making such a thing.

-- David Goldfarb (, June 28, 2001.

Acetate drawing film is what you want, it used to be readily available from drawing office suppliers before CAD cam in. Or Lee filters do frosted diffuser material.

-- Pete Andrews (, June 29, 2001.

Or you can frost many clear plastics with a wipe of acetone.

-- Struan Gray (, June 29, 2001.

The mylar from the difusion part of transparency holders works nice. the kind with the black holder/mask in the pocket. I usualy cut it down to check the focus-ish of a new(old) camera. Dean

-- Dean Lastoria (, June 29, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ