densitometer ? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hi all,

Did Ansel use densitometer in his book NEGATIVE ? How can I use spotmeter as densitometer can you help me ?


-- Martin Kapostas (, May 14, 2001


Please, read Behind The Zone System, Phill Davis. There are instructions to do a adaptation to use Spotmeters as densitometer. Works well for me. Claudio

-- Claudio Szarfsztejn (, May 14, 2001.

The correct title is Beyond the Zone System. A couple of companies make densitometers suitable for black and white work that only cost about $500--I believe you can find an advertisement for one in the back of Shutterbug or Photo Techniques.

-- Ed Buffaloe (, May 14, 2001.

Or you can run the tests and pay someone a few bucks to read the negs for you. that is what i used to do before I bought my densitometer. Most good labs have them. If you cant find someone close by let me know. Kevin

-- Kevin Kolosky (, May 14, 2001.

If you are going to be effectively learn and use the zone system, start out by purchasing a transmission densitometer. You can find them for $100 - $150 that work great. Relying on others to read the negs for you is OK, but I found it both time consuming and frustrating. Why play around with converting spotmeters when the real thing can be had at reasonable costs?

-- Michael Kadillak (, May 14, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ