Source for Light Trap Material : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Can anybody help me find material like that used on the camera side of a Graflok back? It appears to be black, thin, adhesive backed and kind of like fuzzy velvet? I didn't see anything in the Micro-Tools catalogue that would be like this, but I may have been mistaken. the adhesive backed felt I've seen around is way too thick. Thanks.

-- Kevin Crisp (, April 28, 2001


Edmund Scientific has split into two and each portion offers a product that might work for you: has "Light Absorbing Black-Out Material" and has "Black Flocked Paper".

-- Michael Briggs (, April 28, 2001.

FWIW, I've successfully substituted the loop ("fuzzy") side of velcro for this stuff. You have to carefully cut it into thin strips, which can be difficult for some people, but it seems to work well otherwise and the price is certainly right. It's self-adhesive, too.

-- Jeffrey Goggin (, April 28, 2001.

these guys seem to have everything for do it yourself repairs, check it out.

-- mark lindsey (, April 28, 2001.

They have everything except flocking paper, it seems. I've checked. Edmund Scientific at the address above has two kinds--adhesive and non-adhesive. You can apply the non-adhesive with Pliobond, if you go that way. It's also handy to use in sheets when you need a black background for tabletop photography. You can also use it to improve hard plastic or metal lens hoods or to reduce reflections inside lenses that have only black paint. Micro-tools does sell adhesive foam in various thicknesses for light traps, reflex mirror cushions, and such. I'm not sure which would work better in this application, but from your description, it sounds like flocking paper is what you have on there now.

-- David Goldfarb (, April 29, 2001.

If you are like me you don't want to wait. I have repaired my old Nikons using an adhesive-backed foam sold at hobby shops. It's used to cushion the removable wing against the fuselage of radio controlled airplanes. It's about 1/8 or 5/32 wide, and you get about four feet for about $2.00. I have never used it on any Graflex camera, but I am about to do so, since the roll film backs don't fit tightly to my miniature graphic anymore, and I have to put the darkslide in to roll the film.

-- brian kaser (, April 29, 2001.


You can find EXACTLY what you need at Micro-tools. It is called "light baffle material" and it is available in adhesive and non-adhesive strips as thin as .029". It comes in 10" strips or 250"rolls. It is used in a multitude of camera applications, and if you buy the imported Japanese material, it is very soft and compresses down to nil without shortening its lifetime.

-- Matt O. (, May 01, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ