Hexanon Focussing Rings

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Konica 35mm SLRs : One Thread

Over the years I've picked up a couple of used Hexanon lenses to add to my camera bag, mostly the later rubber ringed AE versions. I've noticed that the rubber diamond patterned focussing "grip" appears to be made of a single loop of rubber on some of my lenses, but on others (135 f/3.2, 55 f/3.5, 200 f/3.5, 300 f/4.5) it appears that it is a rectangular piece of rubber that has been wrapped around the lense and glued in place. There is a very neat seem along the axis of the lense where the two ends join.

Wondered if anyone knows whether the the method used to install the grip material was simply different from one lense to the next, or if the seam is perhaps a sign that these lenses have at some point been taken apart for cleaning or repair (ie. the rubber focussing grip was cut to get it off the lens and then glued to hold it on).

It does seem that the wider the grip, the more likely there is to be a seam ....

-- Anonymous, April 18, 2001


Focuing ring covers

Hi gerald,

I think as a rule it was simply that different lenses had the grip applied differently and I've noticed like you have, the larger ones are more likely to have a seam and not be "one piece", examples I know for sure: 300mm, 80-200/3.5 were both attached that way.

I don't think it's a good indicator that someone may have had the lense apart, it's very easy to remove the "one piece" design without cutting it, I use a pharmacist's tool to loosen the glue under the grip and expand it ever so slilghtly, then just slide it off the lens.

On the other hand, there are probably lenses where the grip was removed improperly, but how do you know which was which, without other telltale signs?

Other indicators you might look for are scratches on the front trim ring (although good techs can remove with no damage), also bright spots on the smaller flat black painted brass screws that attach the baffles to the rear of the lens/bayonet area. Of course, the best techs will usually touch these up and strive to leave no sign that the lens (or camera) has been apart.

Alan Myers, San Jose, Calif.

-- Anonymous, April 18, 2001

I give up...

What the heck is a pharmacist's tool?

-- Anonymous, April 23, 2001

Fair question!

Hi Steve,

Sorry, really not sure what else to call it... something similar is simply called a "probe" or a "spatula" on the Microtools website. Here's a link to a picture... http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=DD662

The one I have has somewhat more squared/rounded tips. I've seen pharmacists using them to measure powders and count out pills. It has very thin blades which are handy for removing glued on items like leatherette, rubber focusing rings, etc. (and avoiding scratches).

Hope this helps clarify.

Alan Myers, San Jose, Calif.

-- Anonymous, April 24, 2001

Moderation questions? read the FAQ