Is this a Graflok? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I am a certified wiseass myself, so I hesitate to ask this question, but what do you call this back? Is this Graflok? if not what is the generic name for this? Just got into this format with this camera (yes, a CC401) and I'm doing the what back shuffle now- already found out that the Polaroid 405 doesnt fit, but a quick mod with a couple of screendoor springs solved that problem.... now I'm looking at rollfim potential. (I'll get around to the 4x5 someday... but I'm not ready on the darkroom end..)I've searched this forum and found many, many helpful answers.... except a picture of a Graflok back...

-- Chris Yeager (, March 19, 2001


Looks like a springback to me. A graflock back comes off with clpis so you can replace it with a rollfilm back. James

-- james (, March 19, 2001.

That is a picture of a Calumet rotating spring back.

There's a picture of a Graflok back for auction at Or just search eBay ( for "Graflok"

-- Steve Grimes (, March 19, 2001.

Here's what a Graflok back looks like:

-- Alec (, March 19, 2001.

Thanks everyone! Obviously I have the wrong camera for optimal rollfilm choices... I may have to break down and use it as it was designed to be used...

-- Chris Yeager (, March 19, 2001.

Chris, If it roll film you need to use you do have an option. Calumet sells a 6x7 roll film holder that will fit in your camera. It will slide in just like a 4x5 holder... might be worth looking into. I seem to recall several for sale on ebay yesterday. Cheers, Scott

-- Scott Walton (, March 20, 2001.

The general consensus seems to be the Calumet roll film backs don't work as well as others. The film reverses direction very sharply at the end of the holder, and can take a set if left very long. Also, lots of the leader is spent in loading, and fogging is likely (if I remember the discussion correctly).

Finally, I believe film flatness can be an issue.

Better to use this camera with sheet films or the single sheet Polaroid holders.

-- Charlie Strack (, March 20, 2001.

I used the Calumet 6x7 roll film holder for several years without any problems. Assuming it will fit your camera, I'd recommend it if you want to use roll film. I had no fogging, no flatness problems. The only problem I had was that loading it was kind of complicated. I didn't use it frequently and every time I did use it I had to consult the instructions again to remember how to load it. Otherwise I had no complaints and it's the only roll film back I know of that will fit a camera that doesn't have the Grafloc type back.

-- Brian Ellis (, March 21, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ