Contrast without densotometer : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hi all,

Is there a possibility of measuring the contrast grade without an densitometer?


-- Martin Kapostas (, March 19, 2001


I'm not sure whether you mean finding out the contrast grade of a paper. Assuming that is your question, it can be done. Get a step wedge from Stouffer Graphics (the uncalibrated one is fine). Print it on your choice of paper. Count up the steps from lightest tone to black. If there were 12 steps and each step of the step wedge was 0.1 density units, that tells you that the exposure scale of the paper is 0.1 X 12 = 1.2. Good luck. DJ

-- N Dhananjay (, March 19, 2001.

Phil Davis describes the use of a spot meter for this purpose in his book, "Beyond the Zone System".

-- Henry Friedman (, March 19, 2001.

There's a thread on this on another forum: msg_id=000WdL&msg_id=000WdL

-- Ed Buffaloe (, March 19, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ