Wooden Camera Back Modifications

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Could someone kindly recommend a reliable source(s) to modify my wooden camera back? This old camera back does not accept my Polaroid back (Pro 545i) and Fuji QuickLoad holder. I'd like to have a skilled repairman to build a new camera back frame (the best situation) and put a Cambo back onto the new frame. So I can use my Cambo accessories, and roll film holders. Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

-- Geoffrey Chen (DB45TEK@AOL.COM), February 08, 2001


Someone referred me to Richard Ritter in Vermont when I wanted to modify my wood field (a plain spring back) to take a Graflok back. Seems like the same situation you're describing. Richard's address is PO Box 401, Deer Valley Road, Tomnshend VT 05353. You can get in touch with him at (808)365-7807. Good luck on the project.

-- Rico Obusan (eobusan@aol.com), February 08, 2001.

Try getting ahold of Steve Levine who is the large format guru in New England. I think he is at www.skgrimes.com and is now located in Rhode Island. Cheers

-- Scott Walton (scotlynn@shore.net), February 09, 2001.

Sorry, I meant Steve Grimes... sorry Steve!

-- Scott Walton (scotlynn@shore.net), February 09, 2001.

You don't need any specialist to do this. This is very simple woodworking, and any competent cabinet shop - or reasonably skilled home workshop-er could do the trick.

-- Matt O. (mojo@moscow.com), February 18, 2001.

Take a look at Alan W. Brubaker's site at www.filmholders.com. He makes wooden filmholders and contact printing framesfor ultra-large and banquet formats and does custom woodworking for wood field cameras.

-- David Goldfarb (dgoldfarb@barnard.edu), February 18, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ