Focusing Screen grid lines : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I'm making a replacement ground glass for my Graphic View I. As suggested I used a valve grinding compound for the glass, tried "rough" and "fine" grits on two pieces of glass (no size was listed for the compounds). Now I'm trying to put some grid lines on the glass and can't find a satisfactory marker. Suggestions? Thanks. Lawrence

-- Lawrence Thomas Pickard (, February 03, 2001


Use pencil on the rough side of the glass; for temporary markings, a "sharpie" ultra fine point on the smooth side works well.

-- Dave Brown (, February 03, 2001.

I will second using a pencil. I believe this is what the older Deardorffs used. One I have from 1926 still has the pencil grid on it and looks just fine.

-- Dan Smith (, February 03, 2001.

In putting a set of lines on for a roll film adaptor, I used the thinnest size of drafting tape on the underside of the glass. It's held up for years.

-- Anthony J. Kohler (, February 03, 2001.

I scribed lines on mine with the blade of an exacto knife. I used a straight edge lined up on measured tick marks, and went over with the exacto a number of times until the 'tooth' was removed. The result is much like the scribed lines on the face of an oscilloscope. Very fine, and transparent. And forever, too.

-- Ron Shaw (, February 05, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ