Are there different Unicolor drums? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I recently placed an order with B&H. Among other things, I ordered an 8x10 Unicolor drum. The guy asked me if I wanted the $50 film drum or the $15 drum. I went for the $15, but told him I wanted the one with ridges inside. It came today. It is white with a smaller black tube sticking out. Inside it is completely smooth. Should I have purchased the $50 drum? Are there different types of Unicolor drums?

Thanks, Dave

-- David Willis (, February 02, 2001


You should have purchased the $50 drum. You can find them used for $5 to $25. I purchased mine for $5 at a local camera shop. You could also consider the Beseler drum. It is a nice product but I selected the Unicolor drum because I liked the Unicolor motor base roller.

-- Ron Lawrence (, February 02, 2001.

A Unicolor-brand print drum, used for developing sheet film and prints, is black, has ribs and ridges inside, nothing sticking out and a bayonet-on cap. Very early ones (25+ years) are white but otherwise similar.

You may have gotten a very old Unicolor film drum; it'll take only plastic reels or steel reels with the appropriate center tubes.

-- John Hicks (, February 02, 2001.

I have been search high and low for new uniroller motorbase and drums, does anyone know a source where I could order from. I wouldn't want to go the Ebay route, half the time, either I get leaking drum or hairline crack, or the motor went bust after a couple of weeks.I wonder if they are still been made and sold? Thanks in advance, James

-- James (, April 11, 2001.

Unicolor drums and motors haven't been made in quite a while. With _lots_ of digging you might find new old stock somewhere.

-- John Hicks (, April 11, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ