Selenium toning : LUSENET : B&W Photo: Alternative Process : One Thread

How dangerous is, and what safety considerations should be taken with Selenium toning?

-- David Hamann (, January 30, 2001


Selenium is a toxic heavy metal. You can absorb selenium through your skin if you come in contact with selenium toner, but in practice you would have to bathe in it every night for a month or two to get a serious case of poisoning from it. If you pick up prints from your toner tray with your fingertips, I doubt you will ever be in any danger from selenium, but a lot of people wear gloves anyway. My own experience is that I'm kind of klutzy with gloves, and I have accidents when I use tongs (the print slips out, or I get a crease in it), so I use my tentacles--er, fingertips.

-- Ed Buffaloe (, February 02, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ