70 mm film processer

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Some time ago up purchased a 70 mm back from a hasselblad bought two boxes of 160 nc ANSI color film for it. Took it to my local film store it yet when they tried to send to Kodak it was sent back saying they were unable to process it. Does anyone know of a processor that can handle processing and proofing this in small quantities maybe one or two a month

-- Davidson W Gilligan (dwgill@XPONET.net), January 30, 2001


All depending where you are from... bring it to a quality pro lab that has a roller transport system. As far as proofing, they really should be able to run off some 5x5's for you also...

-- Scott Walton (f64sw@hotmail.com), January 30, 2001.

Thanks but I called all the pro shops in Vegas I was hoping for A photo house that I coulc call and then send it off to get it done so if any one knows of a good lab west of the rockies.

-- Davidson Gilligan (dwgill@xponet.net), January 30, 2001.


If your local photo lab can do 120, they should be able to do your 70 mm film (assume it is double perforated), technically speaking. What you need to do is to make two adapters and put them at the ends of your film cassette. Then, put this set-up into the film processor, and feed the film lead into the film intaker. Then, you wait, and your film will come out processed from the other end. I did this for about two years til I moved up to Large format. The two adapters were made from a chopstik during lunch in a Chinese place next to my photo lab. They charged me for 220 processing. Of course, you need to get to know your photo lab people first. Alternatively, you can contact Kodak customer service in Rochester, NY and ask them who can process your 70 mm film in your local area. You should expect to pay a premium price for their processing. Thirdly, some graphics companies will accept 70 mm film processing with an annual contract.

For proofing, I cut the film into three frames a strip, line them up four strips a page, and scan the frames into my computer, then use PhotoShop to reverse the images. Good enough for proofing purpose.

-- Geoffrey Chen (DB45TEK@AOL.COM), January 30, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ