Rayham Prefect Enlarger

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I've just been lent/given a (very) old enlarger. It's somewhere between a floor and counter standing enlarger, and looks capable of formats a bit larger than 5x4" - maybe half-plate. It says "Rayham of London" "Another Prefect Product" (Yes, that's Prefect).

It's missing a couple of parts, namely a proper negative carrier, although there is a pull-out drawer for the carrier to sit it. Also, the lens plate is missing, although someone has fabricated one out of plywood and tape...

It also appears to have a cold diffused light source (white perspex panel).

Has anyone used one of these before, and do you think it would be possible to buy the negative carrier and lens board from somewhere?

-- David Nash (nashcom@btinternet.com), November 03, 2000


David, I haven't used one, but it should be relatively easy for you to build a negative carrier and lens board. I suspect it had a glass type neg carrier, which isn't too difficult to build. Lens boards are easy to fabricate for enlargers.


-- Doug Paramore (dougmary@alaweb.com), November 03, 2000.

Enlargers with the "Prefect" name were sold quite widely. I don't know about the Rayham of London bit, that may be a supplier's badge.
They seem to have gone out of production in the late 1950s or early '60s, so I don't think your gonna get original manufacturer's spares for it. Sorry.

-- Pete Andrews (p.l.andrews@bham.ac.uk), November 03, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ