MAME Olympiad rough ideasgreenspun.com : LUSENET : MAME Action Replay : One Thread
1. For every two weeks we play, there will be five games available to submit scores in. Play as much or as little as you like. If you play 5 games, that's kewl, if you play 1 game, that's kewl too, nobody will disqualify the 1 game if you don't play all 5 like the MARP Tournament or the Decatholons.
2. This will be more of a team competition. You're playing more for your country instead of yourself. (although you can win gold, silver, and bronze joysticks of probably JPEG nature :) ) Now it may be a good idea to split into continents instead of countries... I'll await an opinion on that.
3. Everyone will have the opportunity to coordinate one game. This means that each person will be able to set DIP switches(within reason) and up to two judges for the game that person coordinates.
4. Each judge that volunteers for a game will not be allowed to participate in that game. (OR each judge that volunteers for a game will have their recordings checked by the judging coordinator - I don't know yet)
5. There will be some rules everyone has to follow - like the speed rules, the point leeching rules, and all of that.
These are just some rough ideas - if I'm missing anything or would like to state opinions and the like - please say something on the board. GB9
-- Gameboy9 (email@example.com), October 22, 2000
1. Sounds cool overall.
2. This worries me, about the countries. Nothing really specific, but something about that just worries me.
3. Another possible problem: ok, let me see if I can explain this. With the normal tournaments, there are over 20 people. That means that 20 games would be coordinated, with the games spanning 8 weeks. This also restricts anyone new from getting into this Olympic event if they are late; much like koa.
4. I say have the coordinator check the judge, so that more can play....
5. Nothing wrong, and we should stick with the standards.
Overall, sounds like a great idea. Lets hope it works (unlike another tournament...oh, wait, did I say that?).
-- J.D. Lowe (firstname.lastname@example.org), October 22, 2000.
I like the idea, and I agree that it should be continents. As I found out on #marp I'm the only Dane here, and that would end in a disaster :-)
How about splitting up the big continents, this gives more teams? Or more teams from each continents. Europe 1, Europe 2 and so on.
I look forward to this Olympiad.
-- Frankie (email@example.com), October 22, 2000.
1) If Magical Drop (2 OR 3) goes in, I suggest a heptathlon-style recording (all seven game modes in one recording). Why? To prove that you can pull off a consistently good recording rather than a set of good ones in one area apiece.
2) If there *aren't* enough people for a country, I'm willing to play for any other country. (I've got enough European ancestors that... well, we'll leave it there.)
3 and 4) I say four judges minimum, so that each of the judges can submit a recording and you still have a three-judge panel for it.
5) Well, duh.
3 again) For Neo-Geo games, as much as I'd like to watch people doing horribly on them, don't let people move them up into skill 8 territory. :-)
Oh yeah, and on another topic, can we get Magical Drop 3 - Challenge Mode, Extra Hard added in? (The recording would be required to be done on skill 8, using the Hard skill for Challenge Mode.) I've almost made it to 10k there... (yeah, it's THAT hard)
-- Ashuime Rainflower (firstname.lastname@example.org), October 24, 2000.