Original F1 Prisms

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Canon FD : One Thread

I had the good fortune to pick up an original mechanical F1 for a good price; but the focusing screen is chipped. Does anyone know of a web site or document that lists the focusing screens that were made for the F1 so that I can figure out which one to replace it with?


-- Michael Bechtold (WMichaelB@aol.com), September 27, 2000


Not sure of which website but the original screen is screen "E". I have an F-1n and that is what was supplied with mine.

-- Bill Griffin (billgriffin@sympatico.ca), September 27, 2000.


http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/index. htm

Lots of info on the old F-1. They also have a page on the New F-1.

Also any of the earlier Carl Shipman books on Canons has the list of focusing screens. A source for these books is Finger Lakes Photo books at http://www.photomall.com/flpbks.htm. Make sure that you get an earlier one that covers the F-1/F-1n. The later books dropped that for the New F-1.

-- Terry Carraway (TCarraway@compuserve.com), September 28, 2000.


I quote from the F-1 manual, pg 53, Focusing Screens: "Nine types of focusing screens are available: Focusing Screen A (microprism type), B (split-image type), C (all-matte type), D (matte/section type), E (split-image/microprism), F (microprism/large aperture lenses), G (microprism/small aperture lenses), H (matte/scale) and I (double cross-hair reticule). Ususally, the F-1 is sold with Focusing Screen E."

-- Larry Geary (larry.geary@usa.net), October 01, 2000.

Another thing is there were two types of screens for the F-1 and F-1n, the normal and the L screens. The L screens are much brighter, like the later laser etched screens.

-- Terry Carraway (TCarraway@compuserve.com), October 02, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ