Drying time for photos printed on ink Jets

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Imaging Resource Discussion : One Thread

I've been trying to get an answer from paper, printer and ink manufacturers as to how long, on the average, you should wait before you trim a photo and put it in a frame. I use an HP 832C printer, Kodak glossy 56 and 117lb photo paper, Hp ink and the temperature and humidity are generaly around 70 to 80 degrees and 50% humidity. I usually allow a minimum of 2 hours drying time, but I'm just guessing. Does any one have any personal experience to answer this one? Thanks very much. Griff PS. I forgot to mention I generaly print 8X10s

-- Rector Griffith (rectorg@thevision.net), August 05, 2000


My only personal experience has been to wait overnight. I always spray my best prints with clear UV protectant. I made the stupid mistake of spraying a photo just minutes after printing - looked like Tammy Faye in the rain.
Now I wait overnight and have had no problems.
Gee - I remember the days when prints had to go on a drum dryer or in a blotter book!

-- Dan Desjardins (dan.desjardins@avstarnews.com), August 06, 2000.

Thanks for your response Des, I hadn't thought of the UV protectant. I'll give that a try. I'm new to digital photography and I was hoping either HP or Kodak would give me an answer on the drying time. But, they are reluctant to commit themselves. So I'll do as you have been doing and let it dry overnight.


-- Rector Griffith (rectorg@thevision.net), August 06, 2000.

I run an Epson printer and have been experimenting with different papers. Regular photo glossy inkjet papers I normally just lay out on a table for a short period of time (30 min or so) and they are dry. Then I coat them with a gloss spray--I give it a couple of coats--and they are fine. I have also been experimenting with different papers on my inkjet. Watercolor paper gives a nice older look with a very distinct texture. Charcoal paper is much more subtle. I have found that these papers dry almost immediately. They do require different printer profiles which are relatively easily done.

-- fred (fdeaton@hiwaay.net), August 06, 2000.

Thanks for the information Fred. What kind of a gloss spray do you use?


-- Rector Griffith (rectorg@thevision.net), August 06, 2000.

You can go to the local photography store and spend much more for glossy, or matte, photospray than you should. My experience has been that once "photo" is printed on a label the price at least doubles. I go to the local Wal-Mart (where we all seem to shop these days) and buy gloss Krylon spray. Works great!

-- fred (fdeaton@hiwaay.net), August 07, 2000.

Thanks Fred,

What did we all do before B.W. (Before Wal-Mart)?


-- Rector Griffith (rectorg@thevision.net), August 07, 2000.

I have Epson 680 and i used photopape and I won't use it again. The paper and ink heads are just to expensive. And the photos will loose almost 1/2 of contrast and colours in 4 months even in dark places( no sunlight) As you'll see the will become yellow impresionist stains:))). I have 2 packs of photopaper and don't know how to get rid of it.

Instead: I take my pics on CD to regular photo lab, where they use "I don't know what" but they make photos as good as any clasicall photos which will last for 100 years.

-- tomash stropnik (tomaz.stropnik1@uni-mb.si), November 22, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ