Best paper for Graflarger Aristo Cold light : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hi I just purchased a graflarger back. it has an Arito cold light as it's light source. What would be an appropriate print paper type to use? I'm concerned that there might be contrast and expousure time issues. Thnaks, Wil

-- Wil Hinds (, July 30, 2000


Kodabromide,Velour Black, or Ansco Convira worked well. I wouldn't try Varigam.

-- Bill Mitchell (, July 30, 2000.

Wil, I use an Aristo cold light on my Omega and have for years. I would recommend you start with a graded paper before trying variable contrast. Try some grade three for a start. You may want to go to grade two if you have too much contrast, or you may want to vary your development times a little. I normally use variable contrast paper, but you have to get used to using filters with cold light. Aristo makes a cold light that is more yellow-tinted, but the standard is quite high in blue light. I use the regular blue light with no problems, but I am used to it. Variable contrast paper with the blue light gives you about a grade three paper. Either paper will work o.k.

-- Doug Paramore (, July 30, 2000.

Bill, I would like to know where you can get any of the papers, you named,they are all fantastic papers, but, as far as I know they have not been made in years, some of them in 20 years. Wil, try any paper you wish and see how it works with your equipment, get a 25 sheet pack of several papers start experimenting, you will have to sooner or later, so might as well start at the beginning. Regards, Pat

-- pat krentz (, July 30, 2000.

I agree with Pat. You will eventually want more from your materials than graded paper can give you. Get a set of filters and start learning what your coldlight is capable of. Any variable contrast paper will work. That will depend on what look you want your images to have. Some like soft images and some like more contrast in their images. Some like warmth and some like it cccccold. Get some Ilford or Kodak paper and go for it. I for one use all kinds of paper and chemicals. Not because I am trying for any particular look but because I like to see what's available and how my images look on it. James

-- james (, July 31, 2000.

The lamp in my Graflarger is the green colored type, which I understand is for graded papers. I don't know how much light you would lose trying to filter it down to work with VC papers.

-- Tony Brent (, August 01, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ