Small Bubble Levels For My Front Standards : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Does anyone know where I could possibly find small bubble levels for my front standard. They would be very similar to the ones I have on the rear standard for leveling the ground glass.

I currently own a Toyo 45cx and would like to be able to insure the front standard is parallel (perpendicular to the ground) like the the rear when I have the tripod angled down. The Toyo is not gear driven so I usually guess by comparing it to the rear standard.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated.

-- Albert Martinez (, July 25, 2000


Why not use a small level (e.g. Horseman) on the lens barrel and the ground glass? Probably more accurate than levels mounted on the standards.

-- Larry Huppert (, July 25, 2000.

In B&Hs huge catalog they list replacement levels intended for specific cameras, marketed by Sinar, Linhof, etc. for their own cameras, but I am sure that you could adapt one or glue one to your camera. I have done so a number of times on cameras that don't have levels. You have to use a good, hand-held level to level off the standard and then attach the small level securely and leveled. But these tend to be very expensive, especially for Sinar(!) and Linhof.

I've been able to find them at science supply stores, similar to Edmund Scientific in Barrignton, NJ, and I've also found them in unusual places, like on key chains and other novelties. I can't vouch for their quality though.

I've also cut them out of levels sold in home centers. Then I machine a groove in the camera where I want a level and glue it in in level position.

-- Rob Tucher (, July 25, 2000.

If there is supposed to be one, but its missing why not contact Toyo. Or purchase one from a large format manufacturer and glue it on. My front standard level is missing, I contacted Calumet and felt the price was to high. $35.00. I just use a little bubble level. I put it on the top of one standard, then the other. Good luck.

-- Raven (, July 25, 2000.

You can buy small two-way levels at the hardware store for about 5 bucks, take them apart and use them where needed. Pat

-- pat krentz (, July 25, 2000.

Also, some of your REAL hardware stores may carry this item. I had the same issue and found individual bubble level components in baggies of varrying sizes at a hardware store...not the big ones like Home Depot or Lowes. In Dallas there are only a couple real ones left with any inventory. Let me know if you need it and I'll get you the phone number - I'm sure they would ship.

-- anthony ragle (, August 04, 2000.

I think the Toyo's VX 125 two ways levels are available as spare parts. Very good, but perhaps a bit pricey (around $30 ).

-- Paul Schilliger (, August 04, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ