How to mix a developer : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Ok, I am about to make a first test of developing in trays (using T-max film and T-max RS 1+9, but the basic question is:

Do I mix solution A with B, and then mix this with water, and most importantly, can I do this in light?

Thanks for any input!

-- Jimi Axelsson (, July 06, 2000


Open the large TMax RS bottle--that is the A solution. Then open the small pouch that came with the bottle. That is the B solution. Pour the B solution into the A solution. Replace cap on the mixed solutions and shake the bottle a bit.

Now dilute this working concentrate 1:9.

All these steps can be carried out in normal light. Only the development process needs to be done in the dark. Incidentally, the darkroom store sells BTZS developing tubes. Unless you plan on having to process huge numbers of 8x10 film after a shoot/trip/workshop, etc. you might look into those at some point. I use them for 4x5 and they are efficient, and the bonus, you don't have to spend 16-25 minutes in the dark processing film. Bob

-- Bob Moulton (, July 06, 2000.

I like the BTZS tubes very much for 4x5 and I planned to use them for 5x7 when I recently acquired a 5x7 camera. Then I looked at the price. Close to $60 PER TUBE for 5x7 and 8x10 tubes. So a set of six would be $360. Trays, at $15 for a set of 3, started to look pretty good.

-- Brian Ellis (, July 08, 2000.

Well, I went ahead yesterday night and it all worked fine. Though I found out today that I mistakenly diluted it only 1+4. I developed in 24 degrees C for 8 minutes. I got four negs, none printable (One neg was too thin and three too dense).

-- Jimi Axelsson (, July 11, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ