Museum Glass / What Is It? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I would like to know exactly what is Museum Glass and why is it alledgely so expensive? Also, is it a trade name?

Any information on these questions will be greatly appreicated.

Thank You, Robert J. Triffin RJTRIFFIN@HOME.COM

-- Robert J. Triffin (RJTRIFFIN@HOME.COM), June 10, 2000


I don`t remeber the name of the glass but I have friend in framing so i will post that later its so expensive because it has almost ZERO reflection. Which if you have ever looked at photographs in a gallery or museum you know how annoying reflections can be. (I hate trying to look closely at a photo and seeing my ugly mug instead of the photograph).It does work to a point I was looking at some photographs sunday and the glass was almost still get some reflection but the annoyane is greatly reduced. I think the absence of glass altogether is the best choice.-J

-- josh (, June 12, 2000.

I assume that it has a multilayer coating on it like modern lenses.

Try sticking a 16"x20" piece of glass into the electronic beam evaporation machine that you have at home, try depositing consistent layers of some material over that area to within hundredths or thousandths of a micron, and you will see why it is so expensive.

-- John H. Henderson (, June 12, 2000.

Here are some web sites that have AR glass

-- Glenn C. Kroeger (, June 12, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ