Which polariser filter?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Photography Singapore : One Thread

Hi, all,

I'm thinking of buying a polariser filter for my Nikon 24/2.8, 35-80/4~5.6, 50/1.8 AF and 75-150/3.5E (all 52mm). I intended to buy a Nikon or B+W polariser. But I'm not familiar with polariser filter. Can anybody give me some advice. Many many thx!

R M Chen

-- RM Chen (rmchen77@hotmail.com), April 19, 2000


Are you sure that u will not be using other lenses with bigger size? With bigger filter size, you can always step-down but not the other way round.
Polariser of these 2 brands are good and doesn't comes cheap. B+W has serveral types of polariser like the ultra thin (suitable for wide angle lens) and anti-fungus.

-- Wee Keng Hor (kenghor@hotmail.com), April 19, 2000.

Hi, Keng Hor,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I'm sure I will not be using other lenses with bigger size. I don't want to throw in too much money in photography. Besides, I think someday I will switch to digital camera.

My concern is that Nikon polariser does accept original lens hood and cap while B+W maybe too thick to my 24/2.8. My friend told me that B+W also made slim polariser. But staff from Cathay told me slim polariser totally can not accept any lens cap or hood. That's why I'm confused and asking for your advice.

Thank you very much!

R M Chen

-- R M Chen (rmchen77@hotmail.com), April 19, 2000.

You are right. B+W slim filter doesn't accept the usual lens cap. You may have to buy a seperate cap for it.

-- Wee Keng Hor (kenghor@hotmail.com), April 20, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ