Flash for Speed Graphic

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hi folks, I am new to the LF list, after many years of 35mm and a brief layover in MF I decided to up to LF. I am on a budget and, after substantial research, decided to start with a 4X5 Speed Graphic with a 135mm optar (I got for $150). I take mostly outdoor landscape-type shots but I also want to make use of the portability of the camera for handheld flash work. My question is has anyone out there adapted their graflex to take a modern flash unit? I travel a fair amount and I would prefer a flash unit that is more compact, also I don't really want to compete with the Star Wars groupies out there for the "light sabre" flash units. Your advice is much appreciated.


-- Nick Bulloss (bull0010@tc.umn.edu), April 07, 2000


All you need is a sturdy flash bracket mounted on the camera, and an adapter for the bi-post connection to attach the flash pc cord. These are made by Paramount sync cords. It would be best to use F:11 or 16 so you need a powerful flash, I have used q Vivitar 283 with good results.

-- Bill Moore (wmoore@provide.net), April 07, 2000.

The Norman or Lumedyne battery portables have plenty of light -- 200 to 400 w/s depending on the unit. A length of 1 1/2" dia tubing (from the plumbing shop) makes a good handle that fits the Graflex flash mounting clips. A bit of ingenuity can come up with a suitable mount for the flash head.

For another approach see my article: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/photography/lf/misc/misc-equipment .html

-- Tony Brent (ajbrent@mich.com), April 07, 2000.

Lumedyne makes a tube which will replace the Graflex battery tube and accept the Graflex clamps which will attach it to the camera's bracket [hopefully the bracket is still installed on your camera]. They also make an attachment which goes on the top of the tube [a rubber cap with a short 1/4 x 20 bolt built in] which will allow you to either attach a flash with a screwmount in its bottom [the 283 for example] or attach a shoe [Porter's has them, but perhaps not on their Web page - see their catalog] so that you can use a flash that just attaches via a shoe. It is easy to do and, with the proper cord [as a previous poster said, check Paramount] you will be ready to go.

-- Alec (alecj@bellsouth.net), April 08, 2000.

So that's who has those rubber caps. I knew I had seen them somewhere.

-- Tony Brent (ajbrent@mich.com), April 09, 2000.

Porter's has never even heard of such a thing.

-- Michael Shapiro (michael@photonphotos.com), June 05, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ