Glass plate emulsions for 'normal' photography : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

In checking out a question on glass plates I see Kodak has both TMax 100 and Tech Pan on glass. Have any of the readers had any experience using either of these?

-- Dan Smith (, February 16, 2000


No experience, but in what sizes and from where are they available? Cost?

-- Chris Hawkins (, February 16, 2000.

I see they can be ordered from Clyed's.

The cost is around $6 per plate BEFORE shipping so I don't think this is a very cheap option.

-- alan dale (, February 16, 2000.

I forgot to add --- I am not certain the glass plates will fit into a standard 4x5 holder. Does anyone know this?

-- alan dale (, February 16, 2000.

Yes, the glass plates fit into plate holders, rather than film holders. However, the Fidelity ones at least can be commonly found in second-hand places (here in the UK). The only obvious difference is that the slot for the glass is deeper, and there are spring pressure plates to press against the back of the glass.

No, I've never tried using glass plates. They would be a neat solution to glassless negative carrriers, but I would hate to try to store them.

-- Alan Gibson (, February 16, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ