OT, way OT, but any "tax experts" among my friends out there?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

I know, but it is "tax season".

Besides, we need something else to talk about these days anyway.

Besides that, I consider this sorta my net home, where a bunch of smart folks also hang out. You guys are like an e-family.

So what about it? Any "qualified" tax folks out there? A CPA, maybe??? A "tax" lawyer would be even better?!?!?! Anyone want to help out old brother Sysman, and friends, with a little free tax advice? Come on, you wouldn't be here, if you didn't have time to kill!

I've got this little problem with a "Pension Distribution" involved in a "Class Action Settlement" from my deceased father's estate. Details at:

Yahoo Tax Forum

Big grin <:)))=

-- Sysman (y2kboard@yahoo.com), February 02, 2000


Sysman!!! How are you feeling? Are you healing ok from the accident?

Is it ok to make you laugh yet?

There have got to be some kind of write-off due to Y2K, after all, the IRS will be using Y2K for a LOT of write-offs!

-- Cherri (sams@brigadoon.com), February 02, 2000.

Doin pretty good Cherri.

Every day is a little better. The best news, serious signs of hair again! Things like smaller bandages also help. Darn cast is still a problem, but I'm gettin pretty good at this one finger hunt-and-peck typing!

And a good laugh isn't nearly as bad! <:)=

-- Sysman (y2kboard@yahoo.com), February 02, 2000.

But on a serious note, this thread isn't a joke. I've had a bunch of time to "click the web" in the past few weeks. I think that I may have found a way to get a $000 REFUND, instead of a $000 PAYMENT. This is a "personal" question, just my situation.

And yea, I guess this is related to my "accident." I'm looking for a new car, and a few $$$ of "unexpected" income, maybe for a "downpayment," would come in real handy right 'bout now. That Honda "Roadster" is pretty nice, and may not be out of reach afterall. Shoout, you only live once...

OK, I've got a few bucks from the "old man," granted. I'm not looking for a free ride here. I'm sure I'll pay someone, to figure it out in the end. Money is not the question, how much is.

I'm just wondering if I've got a "loaded gun" before I go into battle...

<:)= aka taxpercent...

-- Sysman (y2kboard@yahoo.com), February 02, 2000.

IRS Instructions on that point are horrible. Key: age. You may be too young for lump sum averageing (5-yr, 10-yr), but your dad most likely was eligible. Check if that permits YOU to do the same. That's where the money is! Dig through those horrible instructions. If the amount is significant, PAY a CPA or Tax attorney.

-- old (notanatty@all.com), February 02, 2000.

I suggest you go with the flow, ie do what your CPA advises, when everything is all done & settled you can go back & Amend your income tax, just be sure to keep every piece of paper, ie paper trail to adjust, correct when the time comes. I suggest you seek out someone who is a CPA & Estate Tax Attorney when it's all over, to look over what was reported, what the final result was in the courts etc.. pay the $200 per hour to see if you have a case. It all comes down to what your time & energy is worth. Since the Senate hearings on IRS abuses, they are more lenient to a taxpayer, you may also want to know that the IRS is currently working on cases that go back two years, they are that over loaded, to many Indians not enough Chief's. Hope this helps.

-- Judy (Dodgeball@aol.com), February 02, 2000.

Sysman, Glad your spirits are good. Just keep healing!

-- Mara (MaraWayne@aol.com), February 02, 2000.

old (and Judy),

Tell me about it! I've spent hours on the IRS site. I think it was designed to be read by computer. No human could possibly understand that language! Except maybe lawyers...

Anyway, I do plan to get "professional" help on this. I'm just trying to figure out what questions to ask! Looks like I may have a "qualified" guy over at Yahoo. I just posted some more info over there. But thanks for your input also!

And Mara,

Thanks, I am feeling pretty good these days. I can see "back to normal" from here!

Tick... Tock... <:00= ...

-- Sysman (y2kboard@yahoo.com), February 02, 2000.

PS - Darn, I forgot (I hate it when I do that)...

I did speak to IRS "free advice" today. The guy there "thinks" that he aggrees with me! He thinks that I can use this 5/10 year tax, to get back $$$. Of course, he wouldn't "put it in writing".

So, now I've got IRS saying one thing, and a lawyer saying another! And you wonder why I'm looking for help?

Plus, I know I'm in trouble. The IRS agrees with me!?!?!? <:)=

-- Sysman (y2kboard@yahoo.com), February 02, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ