Facts on Pine Ridgegreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
Subj: [earthchanges] Emergency Call for Action: Support the Oglala Occupation Date: 1/28/00 5:40:46 AM Pacific Standard Time From: email@example.com (Deuce) Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;@aol.com;
From the Direct Action Network...
Emergency Call for Action: Support the Oglala Occupation at Pine Ridge (approved by Grass Roots Oyate) From Emergency Support for Grass Roots Oyate (email@example.com; 206-937-5252) in cooperation with the Northwest Leonard Peltier Support Network --Tacoma Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or NatAimer@aol.com).
RALLY AT SEATTLE FEDERAL BUILDING DOWNTOWN, START AT 4PM, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, JANUARY 28TH MARCH TO KING 5 TV TO DEMAND NETWORK MEDIA COVERAGE OF OYATE OCCUPATIONOF TRIBAL OFFICE AND CHARGES OF CORRUPTION
The grassroots of the Oyate at Pine Ridge, South Dakota, has accepted an offer for others to rally here in Seattle in support of their struggle. This is an opportunity for us to use the alliances built around the World Trade Organization to help bring attention to a long ignored issue: the rights of the First Nations to govern themselves and control their own lives.
Here is a copy of the Oyate's first press release verbatim:
"RED CLOUD TRIBAL BUILDING, PINE RIDGE INDIAN RESERVATION, SOUTH DAKOTA:
" On January 17, 2000 at 10:00 a.m., a group of concerned Grass Roots Oyate (people) met with representatives of the Federal Bureau of Investigation to determine what action, if any, the Federal Government will take against the corrupt Oglala Sioux Tribal Treasurer and Council Members.
" Hundreds of tribal members filed into the cramped office space to tell their stories to the federal agents. Stories of land stealing, homelessness, poverty, tribal law enforcement abuses, lack of accountability from elected officials. Two hours later, the FBI agents were growing weary and requested a break to speak with media on the scene.
" The Grass Roots Oyate took control of the Tribal Office on Sunday, January 16, 2000 for the sole purpose of protecting the files from tampering. The Grass Roots Oyate, consisting of tribal members - young and old, have stated that they will retain control of the building until their demands (see attached) are met. This group feels that this action is long overdue and has demanded the immediate removal of Oglala Sioux Tribal Treasurer Wesley "Chuck" Jacobs for gross misconduct and mismanagement of tribal funds. Additionally, the Grass Roots Oyate is seeking the removal of Tribal Council Representatives who are involved in the corruption of this tribal government.
" At the close of today's meeting, the FBI agents informed the Oglala people that they have acquired some financial records already from unnamed sources and an investigation is underway. They stated that they are not at liberty to elaborate on this investigation but added that they are investigating various programs within the Tribe and they hope to conclude this process soon.
" The FBI stated that they will return to the Red Cloud Tribal Building on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 to hear further testimony.
Since this press release was issued, there has been a media blackout. In the meantime, Oglala Sioux Tribal Treasurer Wesley "Chuck" Jacobs has stated that he would remove occupants of the office by force if necessary, and has twice attempted entry into the office, but so far to no avail. The Oyate are still holding strong, but need the support of all of us if they are to win on their demands. The FBI is supposedly investigating the matter, and they must know that they must also be held to their word. The Oyate demands are included at the end of this post.
The Oyate are requesting that this is a peaceful demonstration. If anyone engages in violence, it will be considered disrespectful toward their cause, and they are the ones that determine how they will be supported.
THERE ARE FREQUENT UPDATES ON THE WEBSITE, WHICH IS:
http://members.tripod.com/GrassRootsOyate Please disseminate this post as widely as possible.
In Solidarity, John Persak, Seattle WA for Emergency Support for Grass Roots Oyate 206-937-5252 OGLALA GRASS ROOTS GROUP DEMANDS
1. Full forensic audit of all OST income including Prairie Wind Casino. This audit must be made public to all Oglala Sioux Tribal members.
2. Enforcement of the OST Constitution & By- Laws; Specifically toArticle X- Land: Section XI Use of Unassigned Land. Any income derived from such land shall accrue to the benefit of the Tribe as a whole. That those funds be set aside and distributed equally to each district. ($200,000,000 ).
3. Under the IRA ( Indian Reorganization Act), Section 5 provides for the recovery of tribal lands that the Secretary of Interior shall exercise this right in purchasing all land, water rights and surface rights to land within or without existing reservation and turn over OST trust land. Under this provision the Secretary of Interior shall pay to FHA the outstanding balance of land purchased under the FHA loan, further that the Secretary and United States Congress return to the Oglala Sioux Tribe, land known as the Buffalo Gap National Grass Land, and all other that Section V of IRA (Indian Reorganization Act), states and carry out to the fullest extent of this section.
4. Secretary of Interior do whatever is necessary to return jurisdiction to the Oglala Sioux Tribe in Bennett and Jackson Counties.
5. That the U.S. Government honor our sovereignty and refrain from all things that they do, such as, involving the State in any and all actions. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the Oglala Sioux Tribe is a sovereign nation within a nation and the supreme law of the land. The Tribe has the right to negotiate government to government which excludes the State. That the U.S. Government enforces and abides by all treaties and rights of the Oglala Sioux Tribe.
6. Secretary of Interior will honor and see to this trust as trust responsibility on Oglala Sioux Tribal land, known as "The South Unit", under the General Management Plan Revision/Development, which was signed and approved the OST Council, Dir. Of Rocky Mountain Region, Dir. Of National Park Service and the Secretary of Interior on 1/2/76. The South Unit land belongs to the Oglala Sioux Tribe.
7. The OST Council has violated their Oath of Office to the US Constitution and OST Constitution, therefore all council members and the OST Treasurer are to be removed from office immediately, in the best interest of Constitution and OST Constitution, therefore all council members and the OST Treasurer are to be removed from office immediately, in the best interest of the OST and its members.
8. All funds owed to programs be paid back in full immediately and programs be left to administrate their programs effectively, without interference from tribal government, except where otherwise stated in the program contract.
9. A full land audit be conducted on the First National Bank of Gordon, Gordon, Nebraska to determine how much tribal land they have obtained as collateral for bailouts, etc.
-- j (email@example.com), January 28, 2000
Since subscribing to Native News, I have been amazed at the number of incidents in which our gov is continuing to mistreat Original Americans. Those mailings have been an eye-opener for me. Our government has dealt treacherously in the past, and it appears to be continuing to do so.
I recommend subscribing to anyone interested. firstname.lastname@example.org
-- gene (email@example.com), January 28, 2000.
Seattle? But the feds, which are the point of contact for Native Americans, are in DC. Hm. Guess if folks in Seattle will support the March...Anyway, it wouldn't get covered in DC unless there were arrests. Then again, it may not get aired from Seattle unless there are arrests.
I am certainly NOT encouraging illegal behavior from the protesters, but rather expressing how difficult it is to get national media coverage. Hope these protesters do not stoop to the level of illegal actions, but maintain the peaceful presence of the persons in Pine Ridge whom they intend to honor:)
-- Hokie (Hokie_@hotmail.com), January 28, 2000.
Hi Gene...thank you very much for the pointer to Native news..much appreciated...:) I would like to empathize..any demonstrations in support of the Grass Roots Oyate need to be authorized by them. For them this was begun in prayer under the guidance of the traditional leaders. It is a sacred thing they do. It is with this understanding any support must be given. NO violence is condoned as support at any time. It goes contrary to the spirit in which this occupation is being conducted. Please be mindful and respectful of this fact. Ishgooda
-- Ishgooda (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 29, 2000.
The problems at Pine Ridge -- and for that matter at all Indian reservations -- go back a long long way. For an extended background on the "Pine Ridge" situation, from the viewpoint of the indigenous people in the region, see these links:Fact or Fictionand these "Camp Justice updates" from last fall give some perspective to the current stand-off:
Theft and Destruction
News and EventsSeptember 3, 1999This memo from Gen. Sheridan to Gen. Terry on Nov. 9, 1875, set the stage (Gen. Ulysses Grant was President at the time):
October 9, 1999
November 4, 1999Confidential
My dear Gen. Terry,
At a meeting which occurred in Washington on the 3rd of November, at which were present, the President of the United States, the Secretary of the Interior, the Secretary of war and myself, the President decided that while the orders heretofore issued forbidding the occupation of the Black Hills country, by miners, should not be rescinded, still no further resistance by the military should be made to the miners going in: it being his belief that such resistance only increases their desires and complicates the troubles.
Will you therefore quietly cause the troops in your department to assume such attitudes as will meet the views of the President in this respect?
[signed] P. H. Sheridan, Lieut. General
After which one thing led to another. None of it pleasant.
-- Tom Carey (email@example.com), January 29, 2000.