New forum on humans assimilating to machinesgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Human-Machine Assimilation : One Thread
This forum is intended as a clearing-house of sources for people interested in the coming e(de?)volution of people into machines. This is definitely happening, in several ways. First, the obvious use of machine parts to fix up humans with medical problems. Second, machine intelligence is evolving at a fantastic pace, while human intelligence is basically standing still from an evolutionary viewpoint, though cultural methods are allowing us to apply what we have more efficiently than ever before (elitist educational and employment policies, professional networks, web, corporate and gov-sponsored research programs, better primary education and literacy worldwide, etc.) This means it is likely machines will be smarter than humans, for most operational purposes, within 50 years. They may exterminate us, they may keep us as pets in zoos, or they may assimilate us, with or without our consent. Probably within 50 years we'll be so drugged up of our own volition we won't even care. But for those who care now, please post links and discussion on this (admittedly broad and crudely defined topic) here!
* For those who say 'smarter than us in 50 years ? Can't happen!' consider what your reaction in 1904 might have been if somebody told you that within 40 years, the direct descendants of the crude Wright brothers' prototype airplane would be used to take off from a ship, fly across hundreds of miles of ocean, and destroy the entire US Pacific fleet of steel battleships from the air in a few minutes, while under constant artillery fire."I believe that 21st century technologies will allow the creation of "artilects" (artificial intellects, artificial intelligences, ultra intelligent machines), with intellectual capacities zillions of times greater than those of human beings. I believe that this technological possibility will force the issue of whether artilects should be built or not. I believe that humanity will split into two major ideological camps, one in favor of building artilects (the "Cosmists") and those opposed (the "Terrans"). I believe that the ideological disagreements between these two groups on this issue will be so strong, that a major "artilect" war, killing billions of people, will be almost inevitable before the end of the 21st century. "
Quote from Dr Hugo de Garis
Here are a few links to kick things off:
- Net Future
- The Machine Stops (1909!!)
- Sheila Kunkle
- Kevin Warwick's book, machines WILL take over...
- de Garis: interview on artilects, 'species dominance' problem, etc.
- de Garis essay on artilects
- Asimov essay
-- Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 24, 2000
Link to article on Kevin Warwick chip implant: Warwick
-- Scott (email@example.com), January 25, 2000.