1100 State Workers Sent Home Following Chemical Spill Albany, NY, United Statesgreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
Note that the state's spokesperson person explained the problem as a "drain clog". What caused the clog?
1100 State Workers Sent Home Following Chemical Spill Albany, NY, United States ----- Information Added: Friday, January 14, 2000 - 6:59 PM ----- Chemical fumes from an anti-corrosion compound were spread through the state's Swan Street building by the facility's ventilation system, sending about 1,100 employees home for the day and ten to the hospital complaining of respiratory problems.
A spokesman for the state's Office of General Services said the anti-corrosion compund pooled as a result of a drain clog, spreading through building vents.
After a two-hour evacuation officials decided to send employees home for the day so the building could be thoroughly aired out.
The ten people treated at local hospitals were released later.
Link to story:
-- Carl Jenkins (Somewherepress@aol.com), January 14, 2000
Thank you for all of your posts. =)
-- Dee (T1Colt556@aol.com), January 14, 2000.
Yep Carl you're doing a great job, we need these pieces on a daily basis...
-- Andy (2000EOD@prodigy.net), January 14, 2000.
Here's some more on that page...
U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
Note: The following incidents have not been necessarily ruled as direct results of Y2K problems, yet the seriousness risks associated with high hazard chemical plants presents a need for community & family preparedness.
* For the latest reports visit the Chemical Incidents Reports Center
* January 13, 2000 - Lynn, MA Natural Gas Explosion at Potato Chip Factory Forces Evacuations
* January 12, 2000 - 12:00 PM - Niles, ILSeven Workers Hurt in Blast at Metal Recycling Company; FourWorkers Critically Burned
* 1/13/2000: 10:45 AM - Tokyo, Japan Sodium Hydroxide Leaks at Japanese Chemical Plant
* 1/12/2000 - 10:00 AM - Grand Chute, WI 30 Sent to Hospital When Ammonia Line Breaks at Food Plant
* 1/12/2000 - 9:00 AM - Akron, OH Evacuation Ends As Butadiene Spill Contained at Chemical Plant
* 1/12/2000 - 6:55 AM - Canton Township, MI Ammonia Line Leaks as Explosion and Fire Follow at Food Plant; Two Injured
* 1/11/2000 - 7:30 PM - Rangely, CO Natural Gas Line Explosion Forces Closure of State Highway
* 1/11/2000 - 2:40 PM - Compton, CA Explosion, Fire at Food Company Injures four
* 1/11/2000 - 6:45 AM - Mosier, OR Interstate 84 Closed After Wreck Causes Spill of Acid and Chlorine
* 1/10/2000 - 10:00 PM - London, United Kingdom Gas Explosion in London Store Injures Three
* 1/10/2000 - 9:30 AM - Richmond County, GA Non-Toxic Liquid Glass Spilled After Tanker Truck Overturns
* 1/10/2000 - Mantova, Italy Gas Explosion Collapses Two-Story Building in Italy, Four Killed
* 1/8/2000 - 1:00 PM - Cincinnati, OH Much of 365,000 Gallons of Liquid Nitrogen Released into Ohio River
* 1/8/2000 - 9:20 AM - Ventura, CA Man Killed, Two Injured at Oil Tool Plant Explosion
* 1/8/2000 - Buffalo, NY Three Homes Catch Fire After Gas Truck Pumps Load into a Kerosene Tank;
* 1/8/2000 - Wrightstown, WI Freight Train Strikes Truck Carrying Propane, Driver Killed, Residents Evacuated
* 1/7/2000 - 5:30 AM - Dearborn, MI Another Accident at Ford Rouge Facility (explosion,fire)
* 1/7/2000 - Portland, ME High School Evacuated When Unstable Chemicals Discovered in Classroom Lab
* 1/7/2000 - Anderson, IN Indiana's White River Again Contaminated, This Time by "Mysterious Foam"
* 1/6/2000 - 1:45 PM - Pasadena, TX, 2,800 Students, Faculty Evacuated as Construction Crew Hits Natural Gas Line
* 1/6/2000 - 11:30 AM - Amherst, NY Cleaning Solvent Spill at Hotel Creates Chlorine Gas, Three Sent to Hospital
* 1/6/2000 - 9:20 AM - Naples, FL Gasket Failure Causes Chlorine Leak at Water Plant
* January 6, 2000 - 9:10 AM - Corby, United Kingdom Forty Factory Workers Sent to Hospital When Cleaning Fluids Mistakenly Mixed
* 1/6/2000 - Point Comfort, TX Caustic Soda Spills from Pipeline into Gulf of Mexico
* 1/5/2000 - 3:00 PM - Columbus, OH Hundreds Evacuate VA Medical Clinic, Seven Taken to Hospital Due to Carbon Monoxide Leak
* 1/5/2000 - Davey, FL Anhydrous Ammonia Leak at Ice Plant; Nearby Resident Dies, Eight Workers Exposed
* 1/5/2000 - Upper Darby, PA Fire Destroys Chemical Plant; Firefighters Unsure of Chemicals Involved
* 1/2/2000 - 9:00 AM - Diamond Springs, CA Thermostat Apparently Malfunctions at Gold-Plating Facility; Fire, Evacuation Result
* 1/2/2000 - White Hall, AR, Worker Suffers Serious Burns from White Phosphorus Handling Accident at Army
* 1/1/2000 - Umatilla, OR - Trace Amount of Nerve Gas Discovered Leaking from Army Weapons
-- still alert (still email@example.com), January 15, 2000.
Cark Jenkins, good post - still alert - excellent list
If this keeps up the economy won't be overheating, we'll be stalled by the roadside, waiting for the tow truck to show up.
-- Guy Daley (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 15, 2000.